A Messed-Up Generation?

I'm 16 and I feel like there is something very wrong with my generation. Recently, a friend asked me what I did over the winter break. My answer was: Well, I read some good books, wrote a few articles and stories, listened to a lot of good music and went out to take some photos.

She said I was crazy. Am I crazy for still liking rock music, reading books and writing? Of course, photography is a major thing in our generation at the moment. A kid gets a Nikon and suddenly he/she thinks he's/she's a great photographer. It just doesn't work that way. Photography, just like writing is a way of expressing yourself. You don't get a camera for 600€ just to take photos of yourselves in the mirror and to show off your camera.

I think most of the teens aged 12-19 mostly care about getting high, drunk and how to mess with their parents. That's not nice and of course, they know it. But I guess it makes them feel cool when they write a Facebook status about how drunk they were on Friday. What about statuses about something good you read? Or a good movie you've watched? Or maybe no statuses at all?

Facebook has been destroying us all. I try to stay away from it as much as possible. I prefer other social networks where I can actually learn something. Twitter, Mibba and Tumblr have helped me to improve my English over the years a lot. And of course books. My English would have been really average if it wasn't for that. I hate getting questions over how can my English vocabulary be so good. Because when I tell them, they just say: ''Ah, I suck at it anyways.''

How can you know that when you're simply too lazy to read or write?

Latest articles