Teen Fathers, More Than Just A Statistic - Comments

  • My parents had my brother when my mom was 19 and my dad was 21. They got married three years later and have loved each other very day sense. Its so nice to see an article saying there not all asshole Smile
    July 31st, 2012 at 11:08pm
  • I was the daughter of two teen parents, and my dad wasn't involved until about two years ago. So it IS nice to run into articles like this that prove that not all teen dads are like mine. Congrats on your little girl; I'm sure you and your girlfriend will be amazing parents.
    July 26th, 2012 at 02:55am
  • I have never thought badly of teenage fathers because I know a few of them myself. And they are very good fathers I might add (my father was one but he was terrible and that has yet to change today). Personally I only believe those shows are just for attention and that the boys on there aren't really correct for potraying how a teeange father should act. I loved this article and I'm glad you wrote it. Even though I'm a girl, I always advocate that boys/men are treated wrongly when it's boy vs. girl because in some cases the boy is the hero.
    July 25th, 2012 at 11:30pm
  • I sure didn't get pregnant in my teens but I knew a bunch of people who did and the fathers didn't want anything to do with them. I'm glad your not one of them, it's sad really and unfair to the child. If you don't love the person your hooking up with and are unwilling to raise a child as for the slight impassibility something bad might happen people really shouldn't do it in the first place. My mother was a teenage mother, I am her fourth kid but she had my oldest sister when she was sixteen and she had three children with the man she was with they got married after my oldest sister was born. They turned out fine, she didn't want any of us to have kids in our teens because she struggled so much having to raise so many kids without finishing high school.
    July 25th, 2012 at 06:44pm
  • I'm not personally a teenage parent, nor do I intend to become one, but I do like how this article sheds some positive light on teenage parents, specifically teenage fathers.
    Everyone talks about lowering the teenage pregnancy rate, which is almost like talking about lowering the vegetarianism rate. It's your own personal choice, and no one has any right to dictate whether you're ready and capable of having a child as a teenager. If you are, good for you. If not, don't have a kid.
    July 14th, 2012 at 04:06am
  • I love you I honestly do. Not only did you point out that not all teenage guys who get their girlfriends pregnant are gonna bail and run away but you also pointed out in every paragraph how much you love your unborn daughter when she's not even her yet. Whether you realized it or not, you did, and it was ADORABLE! This article was definetly worth the time it took reading it, and I just wanna post this article everywhere to show people that there are the half of statistics that are good.
    July 13th, 2012 at 12:14pm
  • If it makes anyone feel any better, when my parents split, I lived with my father (still do). And I think that that was the right choice. Sometimes, the dad has the level head, such as in my case. I do think that sometimes, the dads who stick around don't get enough credit. Without my dad, I would probably be a piece of trash right now... (I like to think that I'm not...) and I couldn't be any more of a daddy's girl. When you stick around, the kids will notice eventually and be completely gratefull if you did the job right.
    July 12th, 2012 at 10:15pm
  • Katie_bugg I completely agree with you. My daughter's sperm donor doesn't see her at all...her daddy is my boyfriend who has been there for her since the start and even at the age of 2 we've told her he isn't her real daddy, she still calls him daddy and wants him more than me! Blood doesn't mean nothing, it's who's there that counts
    July 12th, 2012 at 08:14am
  • I love your article... As Katie_Bugg said, my father is a just a sperm donor. As in, he doesn't deserve to even be called father... You'll be a great dad, I'm sure of it. And I'm sure a lot of people agree
    July 12th, 2012 at 05:08am
  • How is that stereotypical? Whether the mother wants to face the facts or not, her priorities still have changed. Just because she doesn't own up to it, doesn't mean it still doesn't happen.
    July 11th, 2012 at 05:05pm
  • "It is a given that when a girl becomes pregnant, her priorities have obviously changed." I agree with all of your article except for that statement. The number of woman who get pregnant and never change is astronomical. My best friend is sadly one of them. She is due in August and she is so selfish even now. Already she has plans to go out partying and leave her child with her mother after the baby is born. The point I'm making is, just as the media has stereotyped the teenage father, you are stereotyping the mother. No one is perfect. It takes a strong person to go from sperm doner father (as my grandmother called them) to Daddy and egg doner mother to Mommy. You earn those titles.
    July 11th, 2012 at 05:00pm
  • I'm not sure if it's the same in America as it is over here in Britain but more and more teen fathers aren't being involved in the pregnancy/child's life and most of the mum's don't do anything other than get pregnant for the sake of getting money. I know this as most of the girls my age had children young and dropped out of school. I had a daughter at 16...extremely young age and yet I'm still going to university in September and my daughter is 2 and a half and very bright. Her father is no where to be seen. Having children young doesn't mean nothing, having ambition and goals is good! Reality shows are shocking and do not show the truth! Well done on achieving your education and congratulations on your baby
    July 11th, 2012 at 04:35pm
  • I don't think this comes off as wanting "a pat on the back" as eight letters late has said, to be honest, it's refreshing to read something from a father's point of view, instead of a girl's. In fact, I think sharing your experiences helps makes the article more realistic, and when do I ever really care about statistics? I don't watch Teen Mom or any of those shows really, but I do agree that when I catch occasional glances, they never really show the positive upsides to what goes on with a teenage couple. The media shows what they want to show, not always reality as they claim. As always, I admire the kind of person you are and know that you're going to do well in the future with your family. Blessings as always and you are a inspiration.
    July 11th, 2012 at 07:48am
  • I didn't write it to recieve "a pat on the back", I put my experiences in there so people would see I'm not just researching, I have my own credentials to back it up. I didn't write it for sympathy, because that's what your comment is coming off as.
    July 11th, 2012 at 07:43am
  • I'm not sure if the point of this article was to disprove a stereotype or to defend your particular situation. It seemed like you sort of just wanted to share your life story and then get a pat on the back for not being a "typical" teen father? Otherwise it was interesting to read. It's a good subject but I think you could have focused more on the actual subject than on yourself.
    July 11th, 2012 at 07:05am
  • I gotta say, your article has really impressed me! I love the way you spoke your mind respectfully, and still got your point across. And by the way, congratulations! Cherish the time you have with your daughter. She'll grow up SO fast. Before you know it, she'll be starting school herself. But anyway, just thought I'd say, I respect you a lot. :D This article was great.
    July 10th, 2012 at 09:53pm
  • Congratzz!!! =)
    July 10th, 2012 at 08:07pm
  • Forgive me, it's super early and I feel super super stupid now. Facepalm

    I think it's great when fathers step up, but statistically they don't and I think it's equally important to show that so a woman never assumes the man will stand beside her. 77% of single-parent households are run by women. However, the amount of men in single-parent households has grown 60% in the past ten years, so I think we're definitely making strides.
    July 10th, 2012 at 06:11pm
  • Not a bad article, but I had to laugh out loud when you said a reality television show demonstrates the 'truth' about teen fathers. A reality TV show wants to make money and it shouldn't be used as an example of 'truth'. I had a teen father who raised me from the time I was 6 (I lived with my mom before that) and that is a demonstration of truth a lot more than some reality TV show that cares about ratings is.
    July 10th, 2012 at 05:57pm
  • Lovely article and congratulations on your child. It really makes me so happy that your going to step up as a father. A lot of people really down play that role in a child's life but it's just as important as a mother. I'm also glad you've decided to stay in school which in the long run will end up benefitting your daughter even more. Very Happy
    July 10th, 2012 at 05:02pm