Death and Suicide

I once believed that death was the hardest part of life. We have to sit back and watch the people we love and become attached to slip out of our grasp. When the news is heard it’s unbearable to all those involved. Devastation courses through us and we tend to get lost not knowing how to get through it. People tell us its okay and things will get better, but we don’t want to accept their words. It’s easier to push people away when we grieve than it is to speak about what upsets us. But when those people aren’t there for us we wish they were. Some never grieve by speaking, but just one presence can make a difference. It could mean life or death for some.

Those who cross that line and feel that their life shouldn’t continue, could be convinced otherwise by one person. Suicides happen for many reasons. But those who take their lives or want to be gone from this earth had a reason, no matter what that may be. Sometimes that reason could have been prevented in the first place, like bullying.

Bullies are in every generation and harm people in multiple ways. Mental or physical abuse can push someone over the edge. One mocking thing or hurtful gesture could make a bully feel better, but it could lead to the other persons ending. Sometimes people feel alone when the ones around them do not accept who they are. Some can’t handle who or how that person is because they don’t think their way of life is acceptable.

When you look into the mirror what do you see? A lot of us see imperfection. A mask can be created to hide who we are, but eventually someone will break it and our true selves will show. People are not perfect no matter who we are. We are all different and no two of us will be alike. But even so, that doesn’t give others the right to mock us for our faults, or what they believe our faults to be. If we were perfect we wouldn’t be humans.

One person’s hurt is not necessarily worse than another when a loved one is lost. Yes, you may have been closer to that person than someone else but regardless of your relationship to the lost one, you are all dealing with the loss. Grieving can be done in many ways, some distance themselves and others want to be around as many people they can. Others may be in-between by having only their closest family or friends near them.

Regardless of how a precious life is lost, we are all in this together and there are many outlets that we can depend on. We are not alone; there are other people who have gone through exactly what we have no matter what the circumstances. If you feel like committing suicide, reach out and get help. Because no one deserves to feel so helpless that they wish to end their life. Anyone who is dealing with a recent death in their life, and feel’s the need to reach out to a support group, do so. We are all in this together.

Latest articles