Crikey! Remembering Steve Irwin

On September 4, 2006, the wildlife community experienced a tragic loss. Steve Irwin, renowned as the "Crocodile Hunter" and wildlife extraordinaire from the outback, lost his life in a tragic accident off the Great Barrier Reef. His death was unexpected, and left a generation of viewers who grew up watching his shows devastated.

In spite of the tragedy that occurred six years ago today, Steve Irwin’s legacy lives on. His conservation organization, Wildlife Warriors, continues the fight for the animals he loved so dearly, and his children and family continue to run his beloved zoo, and promote animal welfare to the masses.

Steve once said, “I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message,” and this philosophy guided his unique approach to educating the world about conservation and animal protection. No one ever accused The Crocodile Hunter of being boring, and his genuine excitement and high energy engaged those who watched him to actively take part in the conservation of wildlife.

To honor Steve Irwin’s memory, Animal Planet will be airing a Crocodile Hunter marathon running until this evening.

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.” –Steve Irwin

Latest articles