Billie Joe Armstrong in Rehab

Most people are aware of Billie Joe Armstrong’s outburst at the iHeartRadio Festival recently. Green Day’s set was cut twenty minutes short and Armstrong went berserk.

He raged on and on for the minute the band had left of their set about how ridiculous it was. The band was in the middle of Basket Case when it happened. In the middle, Armstrong abruptly stopped the song, saying, “Fuck this shit. I’m gonna play a new song, fuck this shit,” which didn’t seem all that alarming, just as though he wanted to tweak the setlist up a bit.

Then he started going on a rage, “Give me a fucking break—one minute left. One minute fucking left. You're gonna give me fucking one minute? Look at that fucking sign right there—one minute," his finger pointed to the screen which, in bright yellow letters, said 1 minutes.

“Let me fuckin’ tell you something— Let me tell you somethin’, I’ve been around since fucking nineteen-fucking-eighty-eight, and you’re gonna give me one fucking minute? You’ve got to be fucking kidding me! Are you fucking kidding me? What the fuck? I’m not fucking Justin Bieber, you motherfuckers! You’ve got to be fucking joking. This is a fucking joke! I’ve got one minute—one minute left. Oh, now I’ve got nothing left.”

Armstrong proceeded to take his guitar strap off, holding the guitar by the neck, “Let me show you what one fuckin’ minute fuckin’ means," and Armstrong lifted the guitar and smashed it on the floor exactly five times before the neck and body split apart. Armstrong lifted his hand, flipping off the camera and saying, “One minute. God fucking love you all. We’ll be back.”

All while I watched, I was saying to myself, Thank you, Billie, thank you! until today I heard some news about exactly why this happened.

All I saw was "Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong checks into... "and the article title cut off. I clicked it, expecting something that wouldn’t be too bad. I expected my mind was going crazy to think Billie would be in a rehabilitation center. Low and behold, it was; apparently Armstrong is seeking treatment for substance abuse.

This is certainly not the only time Armstrong has been hospitalized as of recently; earlier this month, he was hospitalized in Italy and forced to cancel several concerts.

Latest articles