Uniformity in the Schoolyard

Something many schools are taking interest in is having a school uniform. The pros are astonishing. While most public schools haven’t crossed the line into uniforms, some have and the results are astounding. Dr. John German, principal of South Shore Middle School in Seattle, Washington, says his school began to require uniforms because the students were "draggin,' saggin,' and laggin.'" He is among the many growing numbers of educators and parents who credit uniforms with better school safety, higher academic achievements, and even increased school spirit.

A common dress decreases the number of students assaulted over their clothing choices and whether they have the latest designer jacket and expensive athletic shoes. The school’s safety defiantly benefits from the choice to enforce school uniforms. The presence of uniforms also helps school security to identify intruders if they happen to set foot on campus. School uniforms also fail to leave room for weapons and other objects that baggy clothing hides. Some students may also feel at ease in uniforms because they are not likely to be singled out or judged.

When it comes to going out and looking for the latest styles and clothes that you want for school also becomes a hassle on your budget and also a hassle time wise. Erica Kollie, freshman at Douglas County High School, agrees fully with the idea. “Waking up in the morning and trying to decide which outfit I want to wear takes up time that I could be using for something more important, I don’t see why we don’t have uniforms. It would defiantly benefit the school.” When schools have a uniform parents feel less pressure to buy their children the latest styles and most popular brands. The income levels of the parents become less apparent and obvious by what the students wear, and it reduces the stigma students feel when they cannot afford the latest trendy outfits.

Teachers whose schools have taken on the change have noticed that distractions that are associated with clothing changes are gone and the students’ attention increase: Students are no longer checking out who is wearing what, and teachers don't have to compete with revealing clothing for their students' attention. Uniforms also help blur the lines between social groups. As a result, students open themselves up to friendships with a more diverse group of classmates. More students are likely to feel as if they are a part of something bigger. Uniforms can increase school spirit and increase attendance at school events and sporting games.

When we asked a few parents what they thought about the topic, Debra Lane, Mother of three students, was not shy to give her opinion. “Most people think the parents would be all for the idea and most are but for myself, I would have to say that it depends on the students. My youngest child, Andrew would have no problem upholding the continuous uniform, and neither would one of his sisters; however my eldest would be one of the hardest people to convince to wear it. Ultimately it depends on the students, age, and then the parents’ opinion.”

Furthermore before a school declares a school uniform they should ask the parents of the students and consider their opinions. Otherwise the uniforms should be considered to make the school better.

Latest articles