Giving Back This Holiday Season

Children are filled with love, innocence and laughter, especially during the holidays, while they are anticipating the arrival of Santa Claus.

This holiday season, many children won't have that to look forward to. Parents will have to tell their kids, "Santa won't be coming this year."

There are always charity drives like Toys for Tots, and in local Hannaford and Wal-Marts in my area have out the Christmas trees with present requests from children in need. Thousands of people donate, but there are still children that never get their Christmas.

I love children, and maybe this article is brought on by that, but even if I hated children (and there are a few I dislike) I'd have to admit that they are deserving of gifts this year. Even one present is better than none at all.

It's really not that hard to make a difference in a child's life this year. I've heard a lot of people say, "I can only buy one little thing" and as a result feel like their contribution wouldn't matter, but you would be wrong. Every little bit counts.

Still don't believe me? Consider this. The Salvation Army workers outside stores every day, all day. People look and sigh; "I only have a dollar. It's a worthless contribution." But, if every person that went by donated one dollar, at the end of the day they would have a turnout of roughly $300-$500. It's amazing how much ''worthless contributions" can really add up.

If you buy one gift for a child in need this year, you have made a difference.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Latest articles