Why Children Don't Read and How to Change That - Comments

  • keigo takami.

    keigo takami. (205)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    93
    Location:
    United States
    I wonder how the data has changed now since technology has become a bigger part in people's lives and so many children are glued to a screen. I have a niece, she's going into fourth grade next year but she struggles with reading. We try reading with her but she doesn't like it and would rather play on her tablet. Same goes with my cousins. I hope they try to incorporate the solutions you provided and today's technology to help children read more and learn. Your article is well written and I enjoyed it very much!
    April 6th, 2019 at 12:29am
  • Freeing Conscience

    Freeing Conscience (1445)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    I found your reason in the article very interesting because I have never thought of it that way before. Now that I think about, the logic and reasoning does make sense but I only wish that you added more reasons as there is much, much more. I feel like it you had highlighted many more problems why kids aren't reading as much, it would provide a thorough understanding of how to find solutions to expose children to reading and get them to like it instead of detesting it.
    May 21st, 2013 at 06:53am
  • breathless lullabies

    breathless lullabies (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I really enjoyed your article but I do not necessarily agree with your reason(s). To be honest I see Anya's point more because that is what I have come across more often, the people who I know in my life that are not the biggest readers are the ones who did not really come across books that often in their childhood. Like Anya too I was read to at a really young age and that is where I fell in love with it, and when I started reading by myself. Even though I do not necessarily agree entirely with your conclusion in this article it was well written and I enjoyed it.
    May 20th, 2013 at 06:01am
  • VeiledPrincess

    VeiledPrincess (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    I loved to read as a little kid and still do actually. Even though I don't have as much free time as I used to I still read as much as I can and enjoy it. The main reason I think people don't like to read is because that if its a movie version they'd rather watch it because reading is 'boring.' I like to read the book and watch the movie and pick out the differences.
    May 16th, 2013 at 03:46pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    My sister and I inhaled books growing up. We actually would get grounded from reading because we loved to read so much. I had to sneak Harry Potter until I was sixteen though.

    My brother had undiagnosed dyslexia because my father refused to get him tested. (He later told my mother how the letters used to switch on him.) It would take him three months to read a book me and my sister could read in 12 hours.

    He loves to read though. He still reads, actually and I rarely do.
    May 16th, 2013 at 05:19am
  • Ayana Sioux

    Ayana Sioux (1175)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    While I think this is a well written and engaging article, I would have to disagree with your idea of why most children don't read. I think there are many factors to it. For one, it's something that is usually instilled in a child at a young age. On my behalf, my dad read to me every night before I went to bed and soon enough, I could read along with him and read on my own. So what if a child was never read to and what if a child never had books around them growing up? They can't strike interest and/or curiosity in something they've never been exposed to.

    A lot of it also has to do with influence that society and the media has on reading. People act as though reading is the most boring and awful thing to do.
    May 13th, 2013 at 02:57pm
  • kim wonshik.

    kim wonshik. (2255)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    As a kid, I kind of detested reading. I just didn't like to "waste my time" with it because I would have rather been out playing. I always seemed to connect reading with homework and since I hated that, picking up a book just never really caught or kept my attention. I liked to be read to instead. Now, though, I'm glad to read and I just love picking up a good book. I think you give a good reason, but I do think that there's a lot of other reasons, too.

    Great article, nonetheless! It was very well written. :)
    May 13th, 2013 at 02:57am
  • kitsch

    kitsch (195)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    There is also the mentality of some kids that they can just watch the TV show or movie a book is based on. Those kids could be more of a visual learner or just don't like reading. I agree though, liking / loving reading is a gradual process and it takes encouragement and perseverance.

    I'm thankful that I love reading because I can't imagine living my life detesting and avoiding it like the plague.
    May 13th, 2013 at 02:46am
  • That Dizzy Dreamer

    That Dizzy Dreamer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I think a really big problem too is a lot of TV shows depict reading and the library as bad and boring things. When I was a kid, I read so much (still do) I was actually picked on. That was discouraging too.
    May 13th, 2013 at 02:33am
  • sabrina's auticorn;

    sabrina's auticorn; (100)

    :
    Bibliophile
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I actually used to read a lot when I was little, at least from what I remember. In fact, I was reading before I even hit preschool. But as I got older, reading became really difficult for me because of my disabilities. So I think I gave up trying to read. I can't read aloud because I stutter and choke on my words. If I'm reading to myself, then it's harder to process what I'm reading.

    I still try to read as much as I can though. Sometimes on my iPad, I'll highlight things and have it read everything for me so I can process it. I want to look into audiobooks but they are so expensive, especially on audiobook apps for the iPad. D:
    May 12th, 2013 at 10:29pm