Keeping It Together: Personal Attributes of Dress and Facial Appearance

Popular periodicals, books, and magazines have claimed for years that clothing reveals information about a wearer’s character. These same articles have also argued that your face discloses vital information about your personality, temperament, and health. Publications such as these keep the general population interested in personality and appearance management; however, limited scholarly attention has been devoted to this subject. So, how accurate are these claims? This paper will review the scholarly findings on the subject.

Research

You Are What You Wear

Author Nancy Beach (1979) published an article in the New York Times titled, “You Are What You Wear.” As the name would suggest, she addressed the topic of a person’s physical appearance disclosing information about their personality and several other factors. Citing psychiatrist Dr. Steven Balsam, Beach talks about the conscious and unconscious aspects of dress. The teenager dressing like a slob may not be prepared to grow up, have a desire to avoid responsibility, or be making conscious efforts to provoke the parents. A woman may wear men’s clothing, or clothing similar to male apparel, to reveal that she is unconventional and rebellious; something males are attracted to (Beach, 1979). Our dress elicits response from others and reveals our mental state. Not only that, but our social status can be revealed through the clothing we wear. For example, when wearing a white hospital coat, a medical student may feel more like a doctor. That student may also find that things move faster because that white coat establishes a relationship between doctor and patient (Beach, 1979). Clothing can make you feel part of a group as well. The military has its uniforms, bankers have pin stripes, athletes wear track suits and jogging shoes, etc. She concludes by saying, “The woman or man who shines through their clothes is probably the one who knows best how to put it all together (Beach, 1979).”

Study One

So, how close was Beach to the truth? Research suggests that relationships do exist between design, color preferences, and symbolic properties and personality characteristics of an individual (Rosenfeld, & Plax, 1977; Compton, & Purpose, 1962; Piacentini, & Mailer, 2004) In a study by Rosenfeld and Plax (1977), the relationship between design/color preference and personality/occupational interests among males and females was investigated. They found promising results. They studied the elements of clothing consciousness, exhibitionism, practicality, and design in clothing.

Clothing Consciousness would best be described by the statement, “The people whom I know always notice what I wear (Rosenfeld, & Plax, 1977).” Males scoring high in this can be described as deliberate, manipulative, and guarded. They are deferential to authority, custom, and tradition, and do not highly value form, unity, or beauty. Males scoring low are outgoing, independent, aggressive, adventurous, dependable, and believe people are not easily manipulated. Females scoring high in this category may be inhibited, anxious, compliant, kind, sympathetic, and loyal. Those females scoring low can be described as forceful, independent, dominant, clear thinking, and have a low motivation to form relationships (Rosenfeld, & Plax, 1977).

Exhibitionism is defined by the statement, “I approve of skimpy bathing suits and would not mind wearing one myself.” Males scoring high are labeled as aggressive, confident, outgoing, unsympathetic, unaffectionate, moody, and impulsive. Low scoring males have a high self-concept with the family, are guarded, and believe people can be easily manipulated. Females scoring high are described as radical, detached in relationship, self-centered, and hold a high opinion of their moral self-concept and self-worth. Low scoring females may be timid, sincere, accepting, patient, hold feelings of inferiority, and have low motivation for forming relationships (Rosenfeld, & Plax, 1977).

Practicality can be described by the statement, “When buying clothing, I am more interested in practicality than beauty.” Males scoring high in practicality may be inhibited, cautious, rebellious, dissatisfied, have a low motivation to make friends, sustain relationships, or gain recognition of authorities. Low scoring males are success oriented, mature, forceful, serious, and analytical. Females scoring high are clever, enthusiastic, confident, outgoing, have feelings of superiority, do not wish to lead, and are guarded about their personal selves. Low scoring females are self-centered, independent, and detached (Rosenfeld, & Plax, 1977).

Designer is defined by the statement, “I would love to be a clothing designer.” Males scoring high are cooperative, sympathetic, warm and helpful, impulsive, irritable, demanding, conformists, seek encouragement, and worry about their behavior. Low scoring males are adventurous, egotistic, have feelings of superiority, dissatisfied, anxious, and are not motivated to form friendships. High scoring females are irrational, uncritical, have stereotypical thinking, quick, expressive, and ebullient. Low scoring females are efficient, clear thinking, resourceful, persistent, pessimistic about their occupation, and may be disorganized under stress (Rosenfeld, & Plax, 1977).

Study Two

Other studies have found similar results to Rosenfeld and Plax. There is a relationship between dress and personality. Aiken (1963) found, in dress, that decoration, comfort, interest, conformity, and economy were factors in determining personality traits. Individuals scoring high in decoration tend to be conforming, sociable, and non-intellectual. Those high in comfort displayed self-control and extroversion. Individuals scoring high in interest demonstrated compliance, stereotypical thinking, social conscientiousness, and insecurity. Individuals scoring high in conformity exhibited restraint and submissiveness. And finally, those high in economy may be responsible, alert, efficient, and precise (Aiken, 1963).

Study Three

Compton and Purpose (1962) explored relationships between preferences for certain aspects of design and color in clothing and personality characteristics of undergraduate women. It concluded that design accurately expressed personality through small and large patterns. Individuals preferring small patterns desired to be seen as natural, modest, and unaffected. They were also more likely to conform and scored high in femininity. Those preferring large patterns had a low interest in clothing merchandising and had bold personalities. Color was seen as an outward expression of personality traits. A high score meant that the wearer preferred bold, saturated, and deep shades of color. These people were more social, outgoing, and forward. Low scores meant the individual preferred lightly tinted, pastel colors. These individuals were conventional, quiet, submissive, detached, and had a passive attitude (Compton, & Purpose, 1962).

Study Four

Johnson, Francis, and Burns (2007) provide a clear understanding of the relationships between appearance management and personality. Appearance is emphasized in individuals high in neuroticism and extraversion. It was hypothesized that this is because those high in neuroticism worried and felt apprehensive about their appearance. Those high in extraversion and positive emotions emphasized their appearance to be social and take part in the process of fashion.

Study Five

Piacentini and Mailer (2004) found that teenagers use symbolic properties of clothes and brands to express themselves through norms, values, etc. Symbols are used to manage first impressions, conform or express individuality, or as a reflection of social positions and aesthetics. A sense of confidence can be found wearing branded clothing that reduces insecurities and demonstrates economic competence.

What’s in a Face?

Study One

Another determinant of personality, mentioned in many popular magazines, is the face. In an article by Pincott (2012), facial expressions and body qualities were seen as a way of expressing personality traits and behaviors.

She looked at the involvement of sex hormones in facial shape and appearance. Different shapes come across in different ways. For example, High levels of testosterone create high jaw bones, dark coloring, and hollow cheekbones. High levels of estrogen lead to smooth skin, small chin, arched brows, and plump lips. These aspects are highly attractive in Western culture. Higher levels of sex hormones (estrogen and testosterone) elicit stronger physical attraction.

High levels of testosterone can lead to other features as well. These features may not be attractive, and may even be read as dangerous. High levels of testosterone increase head size, a trait that is commonly seen among aggressive and criminal men. A crooked appearance can be created from a lifetime of asymmetrical expressions and chronic anger. One more determinant of aggression is skin tone. This is altered as a result of the hormone cortisol that is released while committing aggressive acts.

Continuing with high levels of sex hormones, dominant leaders also commonly have high levels of testosterone. Men with masculine faces are viewed as more confident and intelligent. Women may also be seen as leaders. Women with strong curves in upper eyelids, thin lips, thin brows, broad faces, and widow’s peaks are viewed as capable leaders. Actually, campaigns often morph candidate’s faces in order to make them appear more masculine, intelligent, dominant, and warm.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, low levels of sex hormones create different features. These features are often described not as sexual and attractive, but as a baby face. Low levels of sex hormones are seen as non-authoritative. These individuals have a pudgy, youthful appearance. They are viewed as soft, suggestible, incompetent, and honest to fault.

Study Two

In another study by Jones, Kramer, and Ward (2012), facial predictors of behavior and health were studied. It was accurately identified that the face portrays agreeableness, neuroticism, and physical health, conscientiousness, and openness. Extraversion, however, could not be identified solely by facial expression. Extraversion is linked more so to posture than to facial expression.

Conclusion

Many claims have been made about physical appearance reflecting personality traits. Through research, these claims have been addressed. Surprisingly, many do hold true. It is apparent that design, color, practicality, and many other factors do portray a person’s identity. Not only that, but one’s facial shape, expression, and color also play a factor in the expression of personality. So perhaps it is true: “The woman or man who shines through their clothes is probably the one who knows best how to put it all together (Beach, 1979).”

References

Aiken, L. (1963) The relationships of dress to selected measures of personality in undergraduate women.

The Journal of Social Psychology, 59, 119-128.

Beach, N. (1979, August 26). You are what you wear. New York Times, p. 249.

Compton, N., & Purpose, A. (1962) Personal attributes of color and design preferences in clothing

fabrics. The Journal of Psychology, 54, 191-195.

Johnson, T., Francis, S., & Burns, L. (2007) Appearance management behaviors and he five factor model

of personality. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 25, 230-243.

Jones, A., Kramer, R., & Ward, R. (2012) Signals of personality and health: The contributions of facial

shape, skin texture, and viewing angle. Journal of Experimental Psychology. doi: 10.

1037/a0027078

Piacentini, M., & Mailer, G. (2004) Symbolic consumption in teenagers’ clothing choices. Journal of

Consumer Behavior, 3, 251-262.

Pincott, J. (2012, December) What’s in a face? Psychology Today, 45, 52-85.

Rosenfeld, L., & Plax, T. (1977) Clothing as communication. Journal of Communication, 27, 24-31.

Latest articles