Different

Different Kids today have to fit in to a different label, even if they don't want to be accosted with it. Kids will label them for the way they look, act or even the music they listen to. Emo is one that has caused quite a lot of controversy. Kids who have black hair, piercings or listen to a certain type of music get this label, whether they want to be or not. Recently in the news, a teenage girl, who was a goth, was murdered. Not for any reason, but just for being different. She did nothing to the person who murdered her, however, because she did not look or act like him, she suffered for it. Attacks similar to this have happened over the years, and most of the time the attackers can give no reason as to why they did it. These people clearly can't handle the fact people are different, and everyone should be.

Teenagers all over the world have turned to suicide when they become depressed, from the bullying they receive for being different. Bands like My Chemical Romance have helped many teens over-come depression and get away from suicide, but they then get labeled as an emo band for being just like the kids. For being different. So if everyone is supposed to be different, why won't these people see that? Why do they feel the need to constantly stand there and abuse other people, or sit at their computer threatening the girl that cuts herself because of the stress kids at school cause her.

I personally get called an emo on a daily basis, for like many other kids in the UK, listening to music like My Chemical Romance, Paramore and Evanescence. But I don't believe I fit into the emo label, I don't think I fit into any label. Contrary to what many people think, my friends and I are some of the most upbeat, happiest kids in the school, but we get told that we must cut ourselves, and be depressed all of the time because we aren't like them.

Being an outsider is what most of the 'different' kids have to get used to. A lot of them are not very social at their school, because no one wants to befriend the emo kid, and that is most of the time, where depression and suicide stem from. The depression and suicide come from not having people to talk to and being alone because of it. The weird thing is, people don't have a problem when they see girls in skirts that barely cover anything, orange faces and hair so blond it almost blinds you, selling herself to be 'popular'.

But when they see the girl with black hair, a pierced lip and band tee on, they heckle her. But it's not always the girl or boy dressed in black that self harms and commits suicide, many of the so-called 'popular' teenagers have self harmed themselves. In fact, more cases of them getting so stressed about there 'popular life-style' and committing suicide have been reported than cases of suicide among 'emo' kids.

Yet these 'popular kids' can't have been classed as depressed because they wore pink and had the most popular boyfriend in school. They couldn't reach out to the people, bands, music that could help them because they know that they wouldn't be accepted by the other kids if they did. So the only other option for them was to end everything.

I think that labels are just something used to categorize people, and to lump them with the other people that they should stereotypically go with, even if they are the complete opposite to them. Labels should just not exist. I say that, but there is no way anyone can stop all labels. No matter what you do, someone is always going to label someone else for little things.

Latest articles