5 Seconds of Summer: From the Bottom to the Top in Rocket Speed

The Australian rock band started off in 2011 when the teenager, Luke Hemmings, started posting covers on his youtube channel hemmo1996. Just shortly after he started posting covers, his two mates, Michael Clifford and Calum Hood, joined him. The trio made covers of popular songs such as "Baby" by Justin Bieber, "Rolling In The Deep" by Adele and "I Miss You" by Blink-182. It wasn’t until after their fourth and final member, Ashton Irwin, had joined the band that they started writing their own songs. The boys have said in interviews that they are inspired by bands such as Green Day and Blink-182, which is noticeable when you listen to their music. They released their first EP, Unplugged, in June 2012, and only six months later their second EP, Somewhere New, was released. The Unplugged EP did well on the charts in Australia, earning a third place, but also made it in the top 20 in Sweden and New Zealand. The band started to get more attention when Louis Tomlinson, from the famous boy band One Direction tweeted about them back in 2012.

"Been a fan of this band for a while, everyone get behind them", Louis tweeted with a link to the boys’ acoustic version of their own song "Gotta Get Out". After Louis' tweet, the name 5 Seconds of Summer got more and more famous around the world as One Direction’s world wide fan base started to like the Australian boys. Ever since 2012, the One Direction boys have developed a friendship with the Aussies and have been supporting them a lot. Niall Horan is a big fan of 5 Seconds of Summer and sometimes it even seems like he’s the fifth member of the band.

5 Seconds of Summer supported One Direction on their Take Me Home world tour. The four Australian boys’ career has gone from the bottom to the top in rocket speed, and they aren’t stopping yet. In the beginning of 2014 they released another EP by the name She Looks So Perfect, including their hit single with the same name. The EP’s doesn’t stop there, though. On June 16th they are releasing their fourth EP, Don’t Stop, including the songs "Don’t Stop", "Rejects", "If You Don’t Know" and a new version of their old song "Try Hard". They recently released their superhero inspired music video for "Don’t Stop", which has already hit over 5 million views on Youtube.

A few weeks ago, the boys also revealed news about an upcoming, self-titled album, which will be released June 27th. But now, only a few weeks before the release of their first ever album, they are all busy with supporting One Direction on their Where We Are tour in North America and Europe.

Latest articles