Stars Give Up Clothes for Good

September 2014 has been marked as Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Celebrities are once again using their status in society as a means to inspire legions of fans across the UK to raise funds for charity. These celebrities, ranging from model Jerry Hall to actor Liam Neeson, all strive to make a difference in any way that they can.

One charity, the Give Up Clothes for Good campaign, calls upon the public to donate their unwanted clothing and quality home ware to TK Maxx stores throughout the UK. These items are then sold in special Cancer Research charity shops in order to raise life-saving funds. Each bag that is brought into the store could be worth up to £30 for cancer research. This campaign, which has especially been used to raise funds for children who are suffering from life-threatening cancer, definitely has made huge changes in the lives of many people.

The Give Up Clothes for Good initiative was started in 2004 and has since raised £17.7 million, dedicating £13.2 million to the research of children’s cancers. Since the start of 2014 alone, the campaign has raised approximately £4.2 million.

In the ten years since the start of the campaign, the overall death rate of childhood cancer has fallen by over twenty percent.

To mark the 10th anniversary of Give Up Clothes for Good, TK Maxx is going to be showcasing all of the portraits that have been taken. These iconic celebrity campaign images, shot by world famous photographer Jason Bell, will be open to the public from 9-5pm, Sept 17th-20th at La Galleria Pall Mall, London.

But, it doesn’t all stop there.

TK Maxx will also be the sole funder of the UK’s participation in an international children’s cancer trial. This trial, led by Professor Richard Grundy, is to improve the rate of survival for children and young people who with a type of brain tumor called ependymoma. These tumors are characterized as being generally aggressive and difficult to treat. Better therapies are desperately needed for all people affected by this disease.

Latest articles