The Futility Of Buying School Uniform - Comments

  • erin.whatserface.

    erin.whatserface. (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Fiji
    As someone who went from public to private school, uniforms were hard for me to adjust to. Two years later, it just doesn't matter anymore.

    I know that people want to be who they are. I get that just as much, if not more, than anyone- individuality is [i]huge[/i] to me. I think people need to experiment in life with their own person to figure out who they really are, and I understand that clothes can be a big part of that.

    I just don't think it's a big deal to have to wear school uniforms.
    I still wear whatever clothes I like outside of school.
    I still know who I am, how different I am from everyone else.
    Uniforms don't change that.
    Uniforms just make my morning routine easier.

    So don't worry about it; it's not that big of a deal. :)
    June 23rd, 2009 at 11:21pm
  • lil-miss-gigglz

    lil-miss-gigglz (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    No matter how you look at it, the pros of having a school uniform outweigh the cons by far.
    -Saves time getting dressed in the morning.
    -It doesn't matter of you get paint or pen or whatever on it. I would be pretty pissed off if there was as much paint on my jeans as there is on my uniform.
    -Reduces bullying - no-one knows if you don't have the latest fashions.
    -It's really NOT a waste of money. I wear my uniforms for about 6 months before I get new ones, and because i spend 5 days a week in it, i spend much less money on other clothes because i don't need as much.
    -I don't know about other people, but my uniform puts me in a working, 'school' mood.
    -You have 60 more years of your life to wear whatever you want. Will it really be that much of a problem to wear a uniform for a few years?
    -Uniforms make students feel like they belong in their school.

    And honestly, if your personality and your face don't differentiate you enough from other people, you have some issues. It seems like everyone on Mibba says 'don't judge people on what they look like'. Exactly. It's what's on the inside that matters.
    March 16th, 2009 at 10:44pm
  • Venomous.

    Venomous. (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    I love my uniform... I like not having to choose what I have to wear to school in the morning. I like not having to worry that some other girl has designer clothes when I don't. I like how larger girls don't have to compete with skinny girls with the clothes they wear everyday. EVERYBODY IS EQUAL.

    Lighten up. There are far worse things than a uniform.
    February 25th, 2009 at 10:03am
  • ghosthorse

    ghosthorse (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I'm quite late on this subject.

    I wore a uniform for three years in middle school and I hated it. I had four shirts, two pairs of khakis and one grey sweatshirt. We weren't allowed to wear sweatshirts or jackets unless they were navy, white, red, or the school sweatshirt.

    Now in high school I haven't worn a uniform for three years and I don't know what I would do if I had to. For the past two years they've been trying to get the standardized dress for the entire school district and not just elementary and middle school. But as half of the students don't want standardized dress and the other half of the parents don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe, we haven't had it again yet. Just this week we were allowed to wear hoodies in class, which we haven't been able to without getting in trouble. I may spend a little more money on my clothes now, but I atleast enjoy school.

    The reason for our standardized dress: so kids would stop fighting. Because everyone knows that gang colors aren't colors but patterns. First time I see a polkadot or plaid gang I think I will die laughing.
    January 10th, 2009 at 12:08am
  • glittersmile

    glittersmile (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Awesome article! Very descriptive, it took me back to my school-uniform-shopping days. Which also sucked horribly. I agree, the idea of school uniforms is ridiculous. If they really think they're equalizers, they're clueless, because i went to a ritzy private school full of stuck up jerks who would judge anyone who didn't accessorize with the "right" brands and such. You'd think the schools would realize this. Plus, they're EXTREMELY unflattering on most people (myself included).

    But, more to the point, your article made me think of a quote by George Carlin: The idea is that if kids wear uniforms to school, it helps keep order. Hey! Don't these schools do enough damage making all these children think alike? Now they're gonna get them to look alike, too? And it's not even a new idea; I first saw it in old newsreels from the 1930s, but it was hard to understand, because the narration was in German.

    It's these "minor" rules taking away "minor liberties" that spiral into the huge problems we have today, all of them resulting from every single person on the planet doing things they hate to accomplish things that probably don't even fulfill them, just to fit into this humongous crapfest of a jigsaw puzzle we call society.
    September 3rd, 2008 at 07:33am
  • JustGoFlyAKite

    JustGoFlyAKite (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Oh god. If that's the Girls Aloud people...
    D: omg .
    our principal must've been that perverted .
    May 18th, 2008 at 04:39pm
  • JustGoFlyAKite

    JustGoFlyAKite (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    I wore a uniform in middle school.
    *shudder*
    http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2007/02/schoolgirls_450x300.jpg
    It looked something like that. Except the skirt was shorter, the shirts and jackets were tighter, and yes, it was a v-neck.
    Ew. I bet the principal was sick, perverted, old man.
    May 18th, 2008 at 04:38pm
  • Iago-Disco

    Iago-Disco (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Ah . .haha
    I can't believe your school isolates you? What the shit, thats ridiculous. At the moment, my school uniform consists of jeans and a vaguely white T-shirt
    The official uniform is quite different, but what can they do, suspend me for wearing jeans? Ahaha i have the power now...
    to be slightly more sensible; i loved your article. I've spent the last half-hour looking at mibba articles on serious issues, like popularity and gender classes, gang warfare and the big meanie- Passion. I think i actually learned more from yours.
    So thank you; for amusing me, for bagging out school uniform and for mentioning Kiera Knightly. . .mmmm

    Gabe
    April 27th, 2008 at 03:28am
  • BrionnaxROCKETSHIP

    BrionnaxROCKETSHIP (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    schools suck and don't [i]want[/i] us to have creativity.
    whatever.
    all they could do to make my school worse is to enforce a uniform.
    April 26th, 2008 at 07:24am
  • AnOldCliche_xo

    AnOldCliche_xo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    THANK YOU!! I have to wear uniforms at my school and I can barely tell anyone apart anymore! We all look the same! It's about to drive me insane! Every other school here except for the middle schools don't have to wear uniforms. I don't understand why the middle schools have to go through this when the others don't.
    April 26th, 2008 at 03:38am
  • Bad Girl

    Bad Girl (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Hah, of course for this topic I have to put my two cents in!
    I've only been against schools around my area for their uniforms for 12 whole years! (That would be my whole life....)

    I think that people shouldn't have to wear uniforms. If everyone wore distracting clothes, then no one would be distracted. They'd only be thinking that this was normal. Also, by wearing uniforms, you are taking away the childs creativity.

    Last year, they were deciding whether or not the pupils of my school should wear uniforms. When I got the paper, it said to give it to your parents so they could give their opinion. I didn't. I marked that elementary, middle school, and high school should not wear uniforms.

    Elementary school is getting uniforms.
    Middle school isn't. They don't have the funds.
    High school isn't due to the parents deciding no.

    Honestly, I don't see the point in wearing uniforms besides it being a waste of tax dollars and school funds which are currently incificient.
    April 23rd, 2008 at 03:52am
  • Chocolate Biscuit

    Chocolate Biscuit (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Silly teachers, silly rules, silly New Look model. I agree, why can't we just wear what we want to wear? I dont see a reason why we shouldn't. Fly outside the box people!
    April 21st, 2008 at 11:06pm
  • Silly_Girl

    Silly_Girl (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I agree that people shouldn't have to wear uniforms. But at your job you have to wear a uniform. And Rules are good for any person. Rebelling gets people little to no where in almost any situation. Not all mind you, sometimes it's the way to go if you go about it smartly. This was an okay article.
    April 21st, 2008 at 10:11pm