It Must Be Emo - Comments

  • HeartsinMotion

    HeartsinMotion (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    I can see how emo can be perceived as a cult. I once had a close friend who was obsessed with the fad and encouraged everyone around her to cut themselves to become emo. In my town looking a certain way has nothing to do with being emo, and a person who cuts themselevs is automaticaly called emo, whether they look the part or not.
    August 31st, 2009 at 06:14am
  • NeverDyingLove

    NeverDyingLove (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    96
    Location:
    United States
    There is a fine line between Emo the stereotype and depression. NEVER have I met someone that confesses to being emo and cutting themselves. I have, however, met people who confess to being horribly depressed and cutting themselves because they feel so worthless. Emo seems to be a growing stereotype, used only to describe kids with a certain fashion look, or interest in music, movies, etc. To me, "You're emo" means nothing but, "You're different." Because, that's what media has let it become. Anyone who doesn't follow the typical teenage trend, is immediately branded as an 'Emo' and an outcast. I find it ridiculous. That lack of respect towards other people today makes me sick.
    August 31st, 2009 at 05:34am
  • unicorn

    unicorn (115)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    I HATE how people lable me.
    And I HATE how people think cutting is a fashion trend.
    When that is mentioned, I think of this:
    "Oh heyyy. Look at my cut. I did that. Cool huh?"
    People who do that are posers who have no life what so ever. :}
    August 31st, 2009 at 02:23am
  • Crow Maiden

    Crow Maiden (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    MCR are rock.
    Green Day are punk
    Bring Me The Horizon are Screamo.
    O_O Maybe you should do some research...
    July 9th, 2009 at 11:32pm
  • MMS1108

    MMS1108 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    you think Emo kids cut to be cool or to fit in? Are you insane? Most Emo kids don't cut and if they do it's to get out their emotions. It's their stress relief, they usually don't care about fitting in.
    June 17th, 2009 at 11:55pm
  • PoemOf4Letters

    PoemOf4Letters (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    103
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with Matt Good. I think all humans are Emo. What an emo world we live in, thank god. Emotions are what make it beautiful. The universe is emo.
    May 26th, 2009 at 04:26am
  • GXAnimeLover

    GXAnimeLover (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Mexico
    lol, this article made me laugh. and i agree with Savannah Kay, i also LOVE ''emo'' bands, i wear the color black, have an emo hair cut, paint my nails black....but it doent mean i'm emo!
    i personally think i'm more of a prep, :P
    but all my friends are like: " you're emo!" and that's how i earned the name of Pixemo.
    but i dont cut myself, because honestly my life is too pretty and easy, and there's also the fact that i have no razors near me, i'm scared of them, i bleed waay to easily, i make a big drama out of small cuts and i think it's not healthy because you might get a really big infection in the wound if you once forget to clean the razor you cut yourself with...
    sure, yeah, i hate myself, but that doesnt mean i will cut myself.
    i had a friend who started cutting herself, but she doesnt look emo in any way!
    but, really....get over it. cutting yourself doent mean you're emo, and wearing black doesnt mean you're emo either. period.
    May 5th, 2009 at 10:42pm
  • the apex predator;;

    the apex predator;; (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with MissNuts. Just because someone cuts themselves doesn't mean they are emo, and just because someone is emo doesn't mean they cut themselves. If you're emo, it simply means you are [b]emo[/b]tional, and that you are more sensitive than others. Cutting isn't a requisite.

    I'm emo (from a third-person standpoint, apparently) and I don't cut myself.

    I love the color black, wear it all the time...I paint my fingernails black, have the emo haircut...and I listen to emo-type bands. Does that mean I have to start cutting myself? No.

    So yeah. The cutting thing is overrated. I'm sick of it.
    March 26th, 2009 at 11:27pm
  • HeartsinMotion

    HeartsinMotion (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    i hate how so many bands are classified as emo. i mean, most of those bands sound completely different from one another. people are just looking for a negative steriotype to slap onto things that they find different and can't understand.
    March 25th, 2009 at 01:07am
  • ClarissaDevil.

    ClarissaDevil. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Sweden
    But I do believe everyone somehow is emotional in their own way which leaves everyone to be "emo" in way, and so the music. But does it really matter?? People shouldn't label themselves as anything when everyone is unique and own person. And if you don't know anyone it doesn't give you the right to look down on anyone, as often as that happens to people that dress different.
    March 24th, 2009 at 01:12pm
  • ClarissaDevil.

    ClarissaDevil. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Sweden
    I agreed with half of it till it came to that "emo's" cut themselves. "emo" or not, there's a thing called depression, which all kinds of people can hit and it doesn't matter what they look like...
    March 24th, 2009 at 01:10pm
  • Jemma.x

    Jemma.x (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    you don't always 'hurt yourself' if your emo.
    I hardly think that people who slit think slitting is cool.
    cheerleaders can slit for all we know.
    and thats it...we don't know.
    March 15th, 2009 at 08:02pm
  • romemo

    romemo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Canada
    that was very well written.
    March 9th, 2009 at 06:46pm
  • stopxthexpop

    stopxthexpop (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Emo was a name given to a particular genre of heavy metal music in the late 80's, and no band of this genre survive today, so I can happily say, emo IS dead.
    Why bother labelling people, or anything else? Does it actually make a positive difference?
    January 10th, 2009 at 07:15pm
  • Mystic Dreamer

    Mystic Dreamer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    South Africa
    Emo's are emotional people just like everyone else... GET OVER IT!!! THEY ARE DEPRESSED BECAUSE NO ONE LOVES THEM AT HOME SO SHALLOW THE PRIDE AND SHOW KINDNESS TO EVERYONE!!!! My friend and I were called emos and they turned and looked at them. Well I laughed and my friend got angry because are they God? Nope didn't think so so how dare they try and judge. It's just them covering up for their own insercurties!!!!
    October 26th, 2008 at 08:17pm
  • Christina Sykes

    Christina Sykes (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Yeah everyne has htier own different definitions.
    most people call me emo just cuz i wear black most of the time.
    but honestly im afraid of self harm to myself,i ould never cut.
    If i say im not emo, they call me it.
    if i say i am im a "poser".
    I know its a label for music but kids have brought it upon themselves to label themselves and each other too.
    Just because you wear the emo "attire" or dont smile as much as the "preps" cant define you just like that. Thats my thought and opinion.
    Your article is good though. XX)
    October 5th, 2008 at 09:23am
  • Dysfunctional Beauty

    Dysfunctional Beauty (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Fashion.
    Basically tight pants, studded belts, eye-liner, hot topic, piercings, and the saying 'homophobia is gay' defines emo.
    From my understanding that is.
    October 1st, 2008 at 05:45am
  • cyanide cola.

    cyanide cola. (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Okay.
    Emo. It's a label.
    That's what I think it is.

    But!
    People say to me, "Emo" means "Emotional".

    Everyone get's emotional.
    Does that make EVERYONE an emo?
    September 20th, 2008 at 06:38pm
  • Mail Jeevas

    Mail Jeevas (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    wear tight jeans, eyeliner, tight band shirts.
    EMO..
    right, thats how they do it now? tsss...
    September 20th, 2008 at 02:50am
  • bamftastic;

    bamftastic; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Canada
    My Chem, yes, the lyrics are emotional.
    Green Day and Bring Me The Horizon?
    Wow ><
    Not at all.
    That kinda bugged me...

    If someone is emo, to me, they just dress a certain way.
    The who stereotype that all emo's are cutters pisses me off.
    In my opinion, cutters are in a different catorgory.

    Just because you wear alot of black, and listen to certain music, doesn't make you a cutter.
    That's another thing that frustrates me about the emo stereotype.

    I'll stop ranting now...
    :]
    September 18th, 2008 at 02:01am