The Pros and Cons of 'Emo Music'

The Pros and Cons of 'Emo Music' Emo music has been a very popular subject in pop culture. Not only is this subculture worldwide, it is also very controversial. If you were to ask ten teenagers what they thought about Emo music, you would get a different answer each time. Most viewpoints of Emo are very biased and unfair. I myself am not a fan of Emo music, but I do think that everything deserves a benefit of the doubt.

“Is Emo music safe for young kids and teens to listen to?” I can’t give you this answer, but you can take the time to read through the pros and cons to make the decision yourself.

Pro:
Every kid needs to be understood by a third party every now and then. Emo music can help a kid cope with their problems by understanding that being sad about something is okay without being teased or criticized.

Con:
Emo music tends to be a bit morbid for the ones who are too immature to listen to it without thinking that death is the only answer. It also is a tactic of conformity. Take time to think if you are listening to the music because you like it or your friends like it.

Pro:
Any type of music can inspire a child or teen to write/play music. Emo music might cause a spark of creativity for them.

Con:
Any type of music can also cause a person to think that the one type of music they listen to is better than the rest. Especially when they listen to that one type 24/7. Emo music can raise a kid to be very close-minded.

Pro:
Perhaps the teen will grow out of their infatuation with the music, (whether it lasts or not) and move on with the life they were meant to live.

Con:
A person is just as easily convinced that Emo music is their only outlet for their emotions. They could fall into the same suicidal path as many others have followed.

Pro:
Every genre has its followers, so the person who listens to it will fit in with the group and have a place to talk freely about how they feel.

Con:
Every genre also has a group of people who are not a fan of the music. The group of Emo fans can easily be a target of bullying and unfair treatment.

It’s always good to get a balanced view on everything before you have made your own personal decision. I have not completely covered the Emo subculture, nor have I given you every pro and con. So go out and do your research! Perhaps it’s time to get a new view on things. Remember that when you are doing research, get both sides of the story. Hopefully you have made a well-balanced decision on the Emo genre.

Latest articles