People Articles

  • Punk

    Punk

    Also known as punk rock. An aggressive form of rock music that coalesced into an international (though predominantly Anglo American) movement in 1975-1980. Often politicized and full of vital energy beneath a sarcastic, hostile facade, punk spread as an ideology and an aesthetic approach, becoming an archetype of teen rebellion and alienation.

    August 26th, 2007 at 08:07am

  • Homophobia is Gay

    Homophobia is Gay

    Homophobia is fast becoming one of the main causes of bullying in UK and US, and I certainly have been a victim and witness the homophobic bullying. I am sure than many of you have been too.

    September 6th, 2007 at 03:06am

  • A Growing Number

    A Growing Number

    Suicide, we all hear about it, we all know about it. But do we really understand it? Today there is one suicide every seventeen minutes, and almost eighty-four per day. So in an average of thirty days or one month, there are over three-hundred suicides. For every suicide there are also at least six suicide survivors. Now I don’t know about you, but this information to me, was mind blowing.

    September 3rd, 2007 at 11:20pm

  • Cosmetic Animal Testing

    Cosmetic Animal Testing

    "Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: 'Because the animals are like us.' Ask the experimenters why it is morally OK to experiment on animals, and the answer is: 'Because the animals are not like us.' Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction." - Professor Charles R. Magel

    October 2nd, 2007 at 02:28am

  • Celebrities

    Celebrities

    Celebrities - glamorous, rich and the focus of the media’s attention. They can make us laugh, cry be shocked and even inspired but does this make them positive role models for us the 'common' people? Or should the youth be careful not to be drawn into the world of fame.

    May 11th, 2007 at 04:24pm

  • Don't Label Me, I'm Not a Soup Can

    Don't Label Me, I'm Not a Soup Can

    Our world is based on what some might call a modern version of a caste system. There are different classes of people. But unlike in our history, this system is based more on appearance and social status than anything else. In today’s society, teens live off labels. Some labels are made up on the spot, and are spread by word of mouth. Some of these labels include scene, emo, goth, prep, punk, stoner, hardcore, gangster, chav, jock, etc. There really are too many to name. But does that make labeling people with these labels nonsense?

    August 28th, 2007 at 07:32am

  • Prejudice

    Prejudice

    Do you hate someone just because they’re different from you? If you do, you are prejudiced. To be prejudiced, you prejudge and disrespect people because they’re a different race, gender, or religion than you. You can also be prejudiced against someone’s physical condition, or ability to do something.

    July 12th, 2007 at 10:57am

  • Are You Listening?

    Are You Listening?

    Acceptance. Something so many adolescents strive for during their high school years. A strong desire exists to be accepted by your peers, but an even more brutal fight brews within to accept yourself.

    June 5th, 2007 at 07:54am

  • From Hardcore to Fashioncore: The History of Emo

    From Hardcore to Fashioncore: The History of Emo

    Emo. The dreaded E word. Everybody has heard it, most people have an opinion on it, few people can clearly define it. Whatever you think it means, you can't escape it. Everywhere you go, these days, it seems that the "emo" craze has a firm grip on youth culture.

    May 20th, 2007 at 11:10am

  • Stereotypes - Branding

    Stereotypes - Branding

    Stereotyping is not a new problem and does not only exist in the fashion culture or sub-cultures, The stereotypes of ethnic groups and or cultures is what has led to riots, segregation and war. From the 18th century slave trade to discrimination against homosexuals in the 1980's HIV outbreak.

    April 20th, 2007 at 09:43pm