Democrat Shot

Democrat Shot Bill Gwatney was shot today in his office in Little Rock, Arkansas. Gwatney was the Chairman of the Arkansas Democratic Party. After the attack he was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

Gwatney's secretary said that the suspect simply: "Came into the party's office and asked to speak to Gwatney. When told Gwatney was busy and could not see him the man just walked into his office and began shooting".

Before the shooting took place a man matching the suspects description had threatened people at the Arkansas' State Baptist Convention. While the suspect was escaping he was shot and apprehended by police. He was also taken to the hospital in critical condition.

At 3:12 pm (ET) DNC Chairman Howard Deam issued this statement: "This senseless tragedy comes as a shock to all of us. Out thoughts and prayers go out to Chairman Gwatney and his family, and we pray for his full and speedy recovery. While the investigation of this shooting continues, and our primary concern remains Bill and his family, we commend the speedy action of law enforcement in apprehending the suspect".

At 3:25 pm (ET) the Clinton's issued a joint statement: "We are stunned and shaken by today's shooting at the Arkansas Democratic Party headquarters where our good friend and fellow Democrat Bill Gwatney was critically injured. Bill is not only a strong Chairman of Arkansas' Democratic Party, but he is also a cherished friend and confidant. Our thoughts and prayers are with Bill and his family and we wish him a quick recovery".

Later at 4:18 pm (ET) the suspected shooter died in hospital from his wounds. This was before he could even offer a reason as to why he committed such a terrible crime. His identity has still not been released.

Unfortunately, although he had been given the wishes of recovery by many, at 5:21 pm (ET) Bill Gwatney died in hospital from the gunshot wounds. The details of where he was shot and what injuries caused his death were not released. However with the suspected shooter already dead the investigation can only hope now to uncover the reason that was behind this awful murder.

After hearing about Gwatney's death the Clinton's issued a second statement: "We are deeply saddened by the news the Bill Gwatney has passed away. His leadership and commitment to Arkansas and this country have always inspired us and those who had the opportunity to know him. Our prayers are with his family during this time".

Latest articles