Postal Strike Hits the UK

Postal Strike Hits the UK On the 4th of October at 12 PM UK postal workers began their 48-hour walk-out in a protest against job-cuts and pensions. The decision was made after talks between the Royal Mail managers and the Communication Workers' Union failed to reach a conclusion.

There will also be another 48-hour postal stoppage starting on Monday 8th October. Companies have been warned that their postal deliveries will not be made until Thursday 11th and it is estimated that this setback will prove expensive as a certain millions of pounds will be lost to this row. The strike has proven to be the longest walk-out for 11 years and Unions are fearful of the damage from more competition:

"I can't foresee, my honest opinion... and the personal view, if the competition is allowed to continue in the way it is at the moment there won't be a postal service in 10 years time that will protect and actually perform," was the response from a fearful shop steward.

The Royal Mail has over 130 000 workers throughout the UK and this strike puts fear into workers and managers alike, as the future of the UK postal system is put into jeopardy once more.

But what would happen if the Royal Mail loses it's control over the Postal services in the UK?

Apart from Royal Mail there are only few alternative postal units, but they mostly only work around London and so far have only four post code areas outside of London, so while the rest of the UK suffer, London will remain safe from the black cloud that is clearly engulfing our only postal unit.

Latest articles