Ten Arrested in Counter Terrorism Operations

Ten Arrested in Counter Terrorism Operations Two men were arrested in the Cheetham Hill area of Manchester, whilst a further two men were arrested outside the main library of Liverpool’s John Moores University. The remaining six were arrested in a guest house and a Homebase store in Clitheroe, Lancashire.

Students at Liverpool John Moores University witnessed the event, with some taking video footage of the arrests. Several students who had witnessed the arrests also gave interviews to the BBC. The arrests were carried out by the North West Counter-Terrorism Unit, Lancashire Constabulary, Merseyside Police and the Greater Manchester police force.

The arrests follow information leaked by Bob Quick, Assistant Commissioner to the Metropolitan police. Quick, who came under fire last year following the controversial arrest of Conservative MP Damian Green, was seen carrying a plastic folder market ‘Secret’ as he attended a meeting in Downing Street. The contents of the folder, clearly visible to journalists, contained sensitive information regarding a potential terrorist threat originating in the North West. As a result, the police raid had to be brought forward.

Assistant Commissioner Quick, who is the most senior counter-terrorism policeman in Britain, apologized for the mistake. The Conservative shadow Home Secretary criticized the error, which he described as a “monumental blunder” when speaking to Sky News.

Latest articles