House Proposes New Combined Health Care Bill

House Proposes New Combined Health Care Bill After moths of deliberation and debate, the House of Representatives expects to vote on a health care bill very soon. The bill is nearly 2000 pages long, and the total anticipated cost is $849 billion to be spread out over 10 years. President Obama said he would not sign a bill that would cost over $900 billion.

Key components of the bill include subsidies for poorer Americans to purchase insurance, an insurance exchange to alleviate the costs and stresses of individuals and small groups purchasing insurance, as well as reforms that prevent insurance companies from holding pre-existing conditions against customers. The bill also contains the controversial public option, a government sponsored insurance plan.

In spite of the large price tag, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi believes the bill will cut the federal deficit by $30 billion over the next ten years. The plan would be financed through a tax increase for Americans who make more than half a million dollars each year. Additionally, medicare would be cut 1.3% annually as the new reforms took effect.

The goal of the bill is to ensure every single American, or at the least ensure the ability to have health insurance exists. Americans who choose not to purchase insurance, through a private company or the public option, would face a fine of up to $750.

The House Majority Leader, Steny Hoyer of Maryland, stated that, "For Americans struggling with the cost of health care, this is an urgently needed bill." Other democrats agree with him, while Republicans are skeptical of the bill.

Representative Mike Pence called the bill "a government take-over of health care." The language used to discuss abortion is also a controversy for conservatives. They worry that without stronger guidelines, federal money could be used to fund abortions. The length of the bill is also a concern among Republicans who believe it is impractical and faulty to work with such a long bill.

The bill was posted this morning, and the Representatives are requesting 72 hours to read over the bill before voting. This means that debate and voting on the bill could begin next week. If the House passes the bill, the next step involves the entire congress coming together and creating a finalized bill to be voted on.

The full text of the bill is available online on the official site of the House of Representatives.

Latest articles