General Election Called in Britain

General Election Called in Britain Shortly after 10 o' clock incumbent Prime Minister Gordon Brown arrived at Buckingham Palace to ask the Queen to dissolve Parliament. Once Parliament was dissolved he then returned to his official residence in Downing Street and officially called the election. Brown, who has been Prime Minister since Tony Blair resigned in 2007, will be campaigning to win a historic fourth term for the Labour party. As Brown did not become Prime Minister after a General Election but instead an internal election within the Labour party, this will be the first time he campaigns on a national scale to be returned as Prime Minister.

This is seen by many to be the most open election in recent times. Although the Conservative party have been leading in the polls for some time, their lead is far from secure. Gordon Brown is widely seen as a personally unpopular leader, although his ten years in charge at the Treasury give him experience and credibility on the economic issues which the Conservatives, in particular Shadow Chancellor George Osborne, are seen as lacking. There are also doubts over Conservative leader David Cameron. Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg also made a statement reminding voters that the election "is not a two horse race". If a hung Parliament occurs and neither Labour nor the Conservatives achieve an overall majority, then a coalition Government could be formed or a second election may be called later in the year.

Whoever wins the General Election, it is clear that the makeup of Parliament will change radically. A record number of around 140 Members of Parliament will be standing down at the election in the wake of the Expenses scandal. The current composition of Parliament is as follows:

Labour - 345
Conservative - 193
Liberal Democrat - 63
Other - 40 (of these, 28 can vote)
Current Government majority - 56

Latest articles