Westboro Baptist Church Case Taken To Supreme Court - Comments

  • Fry Cook on Venus

    Fry Cook on Venus (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    WBC calls themselves christians?! That's like calling Satan a saint... Jesus told us to "Love thy neighbor." If our neighbor is homosexual, a soldier or practices a religion other than Christianity, Jesus wants us to accept it & love them. He wanted the world to be full of love! Not hatred.
    June 17th, 2012 at 04:36am
  • Jessii Tara;

    Jessii Tara; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    First off, as a HUGE Dio fan, I've gotta say, if I would've been at his funeral, I would've slapped the 'Satan worshiper' idea right out of Phelps' screwed up mind. Dio was NOT a Satanist. -.-

    As for them burning the Quran, how can they expect Muslims to respect them and their beliefs, if Westboro doesn't respect them?

    Westboro is the most SELFISH group of people I've ever come across, and I do a lot of reading on stuff like this. “Thank God for Dead Soldiers” Erase the word 'dead' and that statement would be fine. Without our soldiers, they wouldn't have the right to say any of the sh*t that they're saying, nor would they have the ability to practice their religion.

    “God Hates Fags.” I actually laughed at the hypocrisy in that statement. The main point of Christianity is to love each other no matter what, and to not judge each other. God represents love, so that sign say he 'hates' 'fags' makes no sense. Also, if God created everyone in his own image, why would he create something that he ultimately 'hates' when he says for people to love EVERYONE no matter who they are. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they're exempt from that love, nor does it make them a person with no heart and no feelings.

    Westboro needs to stop this, because they're showing people the exact image of what Christianity is not and it's giving a bad name to a lot of other Christians who really are good people.

    Not every Christian is good and honest, but there are some who are.
    June 11th, 2012 at 08:52pm
  • Vicious.

    Vicious. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Lebanon
    This absolutely breaks my heart. God IS love. He is not capable of hating somebody. He doesn't hate homosexuals. He doesn't even hate the WBC. It's so sad that these people think they know God and yet believe these things. There must be some awful hurt or brainwashing these people must have gone through to believe in this twisted view of a loving God.
    October 25th, 2011 at 07:54pm
  • AnneBoleyn

    AnneBoleyn (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    I feel pity for these people. I know that it is not up to me to judge others but i must say these people seriously sicken me. Unfortunatly seeing as they live in our country they do have freedom of speech although They are seriously missusing our rights. I also want to say that not all baptists are like this one of my close friends is a baptist and she to was sickened by this.
    August 29th, 2011 at 03:10am
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    I agree that freedom of speech should be protected, but I think we need to make a law where you have to be further away from the graveyard to protest. They can still protest then, but the family won't have to see or hear them while mourning their loss.
    April 27th, 2011 at 06:36pm
  • cinderella.

    cinderella. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    This cult that calls themselves a church sickens me. I've had enough of hearing about them.

    Truthfully, God probably hates Westboro more than he does 'fags' as the cult so eloquently put it. /sarcasm
    I'm not going to bother stating what everyone else has. Fred Phelps, your intolerance and lack of respect for everyone else will definitely come back to bite you and your so-called church in the ass.
    January 17th, 2011 at 10:58pm
  • Romans6:14

    Romans6:14 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    As much as I want to say they disgust me... They don't. I have only pity for them and I hope that they'll see that what they're doing is wrong.

    To Light.Eyed.Dreamer, Westboro (I refuse to call them a church, what they are doing is not Christ-like in any way) is most definitely NOT the standard for Baptist churches. I'm not Baptist, but I still find that comment a bit insulting.

    Even non-Christians know that Westboro is not a true church. They are simply using God as an excuse to hate.

    Can I just say though, hating them back doesn't help the situation. If you're a Christian, pray for them. If not, pray anyway.
    November 10th, 2010 at 02:37am
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    [b]TristSaysStfu[/b]
    But the thing is, they DO protest private events and funerals; they don't care.
    Not all soldier funerals are public.
    I hope that the Supreme Court recognizes the fact that they trespass on private events.
    Go protest down the street if you want, as much as is sickens me, but not on their property.
    Also, there is the whole Common Good thing. That includes the lives of soldiers overseas.
    October 13th, 2010 at 11:02pm
  • Bambie!

    Bambie! (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I am a huge advocate of the first amendment. As much as these assholes piss me off, they do have every right to believe what they want, and speak what they want. I think everyone's question here is: What will the Supreme Court decide? If I was a Justice on that bench, I would look at it his way: They can speak out against everyone they hate (which doesn't make sense as they don't know barely anyone they hate), as long as it doesn't interfere with the right the family has to a private affair.

    Ex: A solider dies and they would like to say hateful things to raise awareness of their cause.

    If I was the judge, I'd say that as long as they do not disrupt the families right to privacy, then they can say whatever they want.

    Family gets quiet funeral, assholes can protest somewhere close by.

    That way neither right is disrupted.

    And this is because I enjoy free speech so much that I would even allow them to preform these douche baggish ways. But please, if you are going to protest something, do it respectfully. Plus side for you: You get your point across better.
    October 13th, 2010 at 08:46pm
  • ash.ley

    ash.ley (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    F*ck freedom of speech, if your not going to voice your opinion in a respectful manner than you shouldn't be allowed to have said opinions voiced. It's about time they did something about this.
    October 13th, 2010 at 01:50am
  • TristSaysStfu

    TristSaysStfu (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I hate to be the negative voice here... but I don't think it's worth it.

    We have the freedom of speech promised to us as long as we live in this country. Frankly, that includes not only words you want to hear, but words you don't want to hear as well. These people have just as right to express an opinion as we have a right to believe them to be wrong. It's true, I don't believe in what they're doing. I believe it's disgusting, to put it simply. But I have a horrible feeling that people are willing to go against the 1st a. because they want to punish these people. This could open a floodgate to other like-cases, and ultimately cheapen the meaning of freedom of speech.

    I truly hope they can find something to charge the church and its members with, but we shouldn't look past our fundmental morals to do so.
    October 12th, 2010 at 03:02pm
  • BITTERSWEET_KISSES

    BITTERSWEET_KISSES (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    95
    Location:
    Ascension Island
    I lost all respect for these guys last year.
    They make me feel sick.
    :(
    October 12th, 2010 at 12:25pm
  • Blooregard Q. Kazoo

    Blooregard Q. Kazoo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Yeah, they had a protest at my school awhile ago. We had our own little counter-protest against it the next day.
    October 12th, 2010 at 04:36am
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Everything they say is protected under the first amendment. The only thing they could technically be charged with is 'disturbing the peace' during their protests, or if they go onto private property then they're trespassing. However, on the flip side, if I lived anywhere near their church, I'd be able to go and carry bullshit signs about them too. I'm also allowed to post that they're ridiculously obnoxious people that should stop breeding in order to help the common good.
    October 12th, 2010 at 12:55am
  • Cupcakes.are.emo.2

    Cupcakes.are.emo.2 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    The First Amendment covers freedom of speech, yes, but only if it doesn't disrupt the Common Good. By protesting like this, and threatening to burn the Quran, they are NOT doing this in a way that protects the Common Good. So, they are NOT protected by the First Amendment and CAN BE prosicuted (sp?) by a court of law. You know, I suddenly see why I have to pay attention in class...
    October 12th, 2010 at 12:17am
  • xxJordynxxShadowsxx

    xxJordynxxShadowsxx (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    These people absolutely SICKEN me. If they don't like America, then they need to leave. There's no reason for people like them here. Besides, they're not making any points with what they're doing.
    October 11th, 2010 at 12:42pm
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    They actually make me laugh. I realize they're sick, disgusting people but I can't take them seriously and they just make me laugh.

    Unfortunately, the first amendment does protect their right to free speech, therefore they CAN protect public events. However, I don't think it extends to private events. If it were a public funeral, unfortunately, they would be within their rights to protest it. But it is not their right to protest private funerals or any other private event and I hope the Supreme Court thinks so, too.
    October 11th, 2010 at 03:21am
  • destroy.better

    destroy.better (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    As disgusting as they are, they do live in America. We do have our first amendment rights and we cant ignore that just because they hurt our feelings. If the supreme court decides it is illegal to protest 100 feet from a funeral home, great, but don't silence then because next thing you know the government will be stripping the rest of our rights.
    October 10th, 2010 at 07:00pm
  • NameTaken.

    NameTaken. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    This completely sickens me. I absolutely agree with In The End, also. I have family who have served in the military and I know what it's like to go everyday wondering if that person you love will ever make it home. I don't know how someone could be so disrespectful to a person who has paid the ultimate cost so that they can run around and throw their little temper tantrums. If they hate America so much, they should just leave.

    I really don't know how they could say that God hates homosexuals. I'm definitely no Christian, but if they knew anything about the Bible, they would know that God is supposed to love everyone, no matter what they do. Even if they don't believe that homosexuality is okay, the Bible says that they should strive to be Christlike, even though you know that you might mess up sometimes, you're supposed to leave the judging to God and just try to lead people in the right direction. As a Christian, they should want to win souls for God, and telling people that God hates isn't getting anyone anywhere.

    If these people weren't doing such disgusting things I would think that this is almost funny. I think it's hilarious when people go out and do radical things like protests and stuff like this because they say that they're Christians when really they're sinning just like the people they're criticizing, I think it's actually worse in cases like this. They are misleading people. They tell people the know the Bible, but then they do shit like this and it just shows how little they actually know.
    October 10th, 2010 at 07:44am
  • Bullocks

    Bullocks (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    i agree with In The End. im sickened by these people.
    October 10th, 2010 at 04:48am