The Shock Doctrine - Comments

  • It's so good to read a British political article on Mibba! We are few and far between, it seems. Though I do have a slight problem with the Americanised z's in the article, I found no major grammatical errors.

    I am a sucker for anything that shines a negative light on the current Governments doings - and not just because I have very far left views myself. I feel they are putting upon the public's fears in order to push through policies that aren't actually going to help.

    I'm of the school of thought that Labour did not get us into this mess, but that our national income reduced in growth whilst Governmental spending remained relatively the same. I maintain that they were only trying to do the best for the British economy. Maybe Blair and Brown weren't the best pair to run the country in the end and did cause some problems, but not to this extent. And I stand by the fact that when Labour were in power, cancer deaths fell by one third and deaths from heart disease fell by half.

    Finally, I also stand by the fact that nobody actively voted for the current Government. We (or they, actually as I missed out by mere months!) voted for one of the three main political parties, and ended up with the Con-Dem marriage. Their opinions on less tax and more cuts may ruin this country - 20,000 police and 20,000 of the armed forces I think got cut last month. Schools, colleges and universities are losing funding, and yet - and forgive my bitterness - we splurge £11bn on the Olympics, when school sports is overlooked.

    This Government not only needs to stop employing the shock doctrine, but get its priorities in order too.

    Very well written and discussed some very, very good points. I think you managed to stay away from bias (which I appear not to have done in this comment haha), and even provided balance towards the end. I enjoyed reading - nicely done :)
    August 12th, 2012 at 12:13am