Katy ISD: One of the Districts Effected by Budget Cuts

In the last week or so, Katy Independent School District has gone through their budget and decided that the best way to save money was to cut teachers.

A total of 314 teachers were laid off, causing students to take a stand for their favorite teachers. Most schools had walk-outs, students walking out the front doors of their schools during the school day.

Morton Ranch High School was on lock-down for 4 hours on Thursday, April 14th. Kids had to choose if to tay outside for the entire day or go back to class. The students who stayed outside walked down Franz Road, holding signs and advocating how they felt about the recent budget cuts.

These cuts were especially controversial because Superintendent Alton Frailey had recently taken a $20,000 raise, including security for himself, when he knew budget cuts were coming. Also, there was not one word about cutting the budget of other things in the district. Barely any administrators were "pink-slipped."

Another problem with the cuts was the way human resources handled it. An H.R. representative, the principal or vice principal of the school, and a sub would walk into a classroom and ask the teacher to step out. All the older kids knew what was happening, while smaller kids were confused and scared. The teachers would be informed that their contracts would not be renewed and the sub would take over for the class. The teachers had to walk back into their classrooms, crying ,and upsetting many students. This, by many people, was considered to be unethical and wrong.

Yet another issue was the cut of Fine Arts from every school. Every school lost at least a band, theater, orchestra, or choir director. Most athletics departments had little to no cuts, saying that coaches could teach extra classes.

Personally, I have lost one of the best band directors I have ever had. The man that brought that "Roarin' Band from Tigerland" to Area Marching Contest, a second jazz band, a State Recognized Winter Guard, and a Winter Drumline. Mr. Lee did the most for the Katy Band, writing drill and putting everything he had into his job. Petitions have been passed around, but how much can students do when we can't vote?

If you'd like to sign the online petition for Mr. Lee, [url=http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/long-live-mr-lee/]Long Live Mr. Lee[/url].

Latest articles