As the Florida Primary Nears, GOP Candidates Duke It Out

After a very gruesome debate in Florida this week, presidential hopefuls Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul and Rick Santorum all have pushed their campaigns into overdrive, as the Florida primary, and the fifty state delegates it carries, are on the line. A strong win in this state could pave the way for an easy win throughout the rest of the country, securing a Republican nomination for the presidential bid.

Shortly after the debate, former presidential contender Herman Cain endorsed Gingrich, and a pro-Gingrich super PAC commercial was released in Florida that took a direct attack at Mitt Romney. The ad accused him of committing and enabling Medicare fraud during his time serving on the board at Damon Corporation, a medical testing and supply business. In 1996, the company was charged with, and pleaded guilty to, fraudulent billing practices. The company was forced to pay a multimillion dollar fine, though Romney was not involved in the case.

Romney’s campaign agency laughed the ad off, saying it would “make Michael Moore proud,” among other things. In spite of the obstacles before him, Romney narrowed Gingrich’s lead as he climbs in the Florida polls, and Romney received an endorsement from Puerto Rico Governor Luis Fortuno.

Political strategists speculate that if Romney were to win Florida, most other states would follow suit, providing Romney with an easy ride to the Republican nomination. However, another win from Gingrich such as the one in South Carolina would certainly foreshadow a brutal campaign trail to come that risks dividing the Republican party.

Though low in the polls, Santorum insists there has been no talk among his campaigners of withdrawing from the race. Instead, he has focused himself on attacking the Obama administration’s health care policy, and planted himself as the staunchest opponent.

In spite of being very low in the polls, Ron Paul continues his campaign, though he has moved on from Florida, in hopes of concentrating his efforts in Maine. While Florida practices a typical voting primary, Maine uses a caucus system. In a caucus, voters listen to demonstrations and speeches from a candidate’s supporters and pledge their vote in person. Ron Paul’s supporters are very grassroots-active, and show up strongly in caucuses as shown in Iowa. In the 2008 election, Mitt Romney carried the Maine caucus with an impressive 52%.

Latest articles