The Grayscale

"Political party: an organization to gain political power," is what Dictionary.com defines as a political party. In modern America, the Democratic party and the Republican party are the two that dominate the spectrum. The Democrats, being more liberal typically, are for a big government, equalizing taxes, and want to rely on the government. Republicans, being more conservative, are for a smaller government, typically pro-religion and pro-business and feel like they have personal responsibility.

In actuality (but of course, this is my own personal belief of the actuality,) the Democrats say, "Oh, we're trying to make everything better for you, so just sit down and shut up and we'll take care of it." Then the Republicans say, "This is what we want and if you don't like it then deal with it."

George Washington, our beloved first president, once warned the nation about political parties, saying "However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

That is exactly what has happened for America today.

The Democrat and Republican parties are so definite of what they believe in, that it's tearing America apart. Unfortunately, there are Americans who say they're Republican but have Democratic views, and the same with Democrats who have Republican views. Though with the ring leaders of these parties, many Americans think that every Republican is like John McCain or Sarah Palin or Mitt Romney. Then they think every Democrat is like Barack Obama or Joe Biden or John Kerry. Americans are influenced and misguided as to who they should even respect just because of their political views. That is something that needs to stop immediately.

The government is so wrong. If George Washington, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jeffereson, or any of the founding fathers were alive today then they'd hate what America came out to be. This is not what they wanted. They wanted a country where the government served the people. That's the whole reason America was created. And here we are, practically spitting on their graves with our selfish, greedy antics.

The government needs to give what the Republicans and Democrats want. So many people have it in their head that it's just black and white, yes for Democrats, no for Republicans. They would never believe in a grayscale. Though with compromise, it's a sure way to make more people happy than what the government is doing now, by being so one sided.

In example, same-sex marriage. I believe so whole-heartedly that people can marry whoever they want. I am a strong believer in marriage equality - but, I know that legalizing same-sex marriage will upset people (people the engaged couples don't care about) and so we have to come to a compromise. A while back I made up a law in my head that was a compromise for all American citizens on same-sex marriage. Though then I heard Ron Paul, a man who is practically a liberal Republican, say that the government should just stay out of the institution of marriage. It was the smartest thing I had ever heard anyone say about marriage equality.

The only reason why the government controls marriage is to get some more money out of you. So, if the government doesn't control it and it's up to churches and other institutions that can marry a person, then people will save some money and have marriage equality. Though if a church doesn't want to marry two men, then so be it. Why would you want to get married in a church that doesn't accept you anyway? A lot of people say that brothers and sisters can marry now. Well, I don't think anyone would marry the two, but it's called compromise. There are so many ways around black and white. Go into the grayscale!

Political figures talk about abortion, too. They say that there are too many specific situations that they can't legalize it or illegalize it. There are a few reasons why it's still legalized, one being people feel like they have a choice. I think people have a choice, too, but that doesn't mean they should do it. Other people say that if a little girl gets raped and pregnant then she should be allowed to have an abortion. It's one of the touchiest subjects politicians have to deal with, and yet - you can still come to a compromise. Define what makes it okay to have abortions and what doesn't.

It's ridiculous that everyone has to be so vague. The politicians need to give the people what they want. We're Americans. We're the most passionate, patriotic people in the world. Though people seem to forget that we're all Americans, that we're all human beings. People today think they can get exactly what they want, or otherwise they don't get anything that they want. I personally would want some part of something I wanted instead of not getting exactly what I want. Democrats need to give Republicans what they want too, and Republicans need to give democrats what they want as well. It's called a compromise.

This grayscale, this compromising factor, is what could save America. If a seventeen-year-old girl like me knows this, then so should all of the politicians and the rest of America.

[Author's note: I want you to realize this is an editorial, so it's all my opinion, but I hope you share this opinion as well]

Latest articles