Fidel Castro Resigns

Fidel Castro Resigns Fidel Castro has decided not to accept another term as president when Parliament chooses a new one this upcoming weekend. He has been ill since July of 2006 and had a form of intestinal surgery. Castro said Cuban officials wanted him to remain in power, even after his health required the surgery.

Being 81, he feels as though he may not be as physically able to carry out his duties as necessary.

“My wishes have always been to discharge my duties to my last breath”, Castro wrote, “it would be a betrayal to my conscience to accept a responsibility requiring more mobility and dedication than I am physically able to offer”.

Fidel Castro had been the Cuban leader since 1959, which is very nearly a half century. This makes him the world's longest ruling head of state. When the citizens of Cuba were notified of the government change that will soon occur, there was little emotion shown. Some people expressed relief that their leader would get a chance to rest.

President Bush (USA) said that he hopes this is a sign that Cuba is headed for Democracy.

Castro's position will be filled by his 71-year-old brother Raul, who was the first vice president of Cuba’s Council of State.

Latest articles