The Double Standard

In 1999, after Hugo Chavez first took office as President of Venezuela, he put through a constitution that he claimed to be passionate about. The constitution states that if the current president is unable to serve, and that inability is permanent, the head of the National Assembly should step in until another election is held. It also states that if the inability to serve is temporary the vice-president should step in...but only for 180 days maximum.

The constitution seemed like a step in the right direction for the country of Venezuela. At least in 1999. We've fast forwarded to 2013 and Hugo Chavez is still president-elect of Venzuela. The only problem? He's dying.

During his campaign Chavez promised that his cancer was in remission and that he was healthy. Ready to serve his country the best that he could. Now it seems that promise has fallen through, and with it has fallen Chavez' duty to serve his country. Currently Chavez is in Havana, Cuba after having undergone a fourth surgery since 2011.

He is not getting better though, and while Venezuelan's wait for their president to make a decision his team seems to be full of condradictory statements. The latest in a string of vague explainations for his deteriorating health is that he has "complications as a result of a severe lung infection" and a "respiratory insufficiency".

Due to Venezuela's current predicament, one of the two constituational laws should be enacted. The National Assembly came together in January to elect Diosdado Cabello as its leader. Chavez seemed to forsee his cancer returning, he anointed Nicolas Maduro as his successor. Unfortunately Chavez does not run Venezuela like the democracy he claims it is.

Like a normal democracy, Chavez is chosen by votes. However, Chavez has been running Venezuela as an autocracy since 1999. An autocracy is a government in which one person possesses unlimited power. It seems all that power has gone to Chavez' head as he refuses to step down as president. Instead he continues to postpone his swearing in ceremony, a small technicality since he is still the president.

In October, when Venezuelans believed that Chavez' promised of being cured was true, they voted him in 55% to 44% (his opponent was Henrique Capriles). It is clear now, as January comes to an end, that Chavez has let his country down and that his service to them is no longer what they need.

Venezuela is facing an economic breakdown. In order to win the election last year government stretched their budget, gaining a deficit of 8.5%. Venezuela will face a huge budget cut and needs a clear leader to pave the way for a better economy and smarter spending.

The budget isn't the only reason that Chavez needs to let someone else take over. Currently, Chavez is in Cuba recovering. This puts Cuba even further above Venezuela in the heirarchy of Latin America. Cuba already has a rather influenical deal with Chavez. He supplies the country with oil and in return, they provide security advisors and intelligence. Now, because he has chosen to stay in Havana, he is under the rule of Cuba.

Cuba seems to have more than Chavez in their pocket. He also placed the two men competing for his job, Cabello and Maduro, in their hands. The two men have insisted that there is no need for a pyhsical inauguration.

Still, in the midst of all this chaos, there is no real confirmation on Chavez' health. No one in Venezuela truely knows whether their president will ever take office again. They also don't know if he is going to step down. It may just take death to end the reign of Chavez in Venezuela.

That is not what Venezuela needs. What the country needs is a clear president, willing to rule the country as the democracy it should be. And willing to do what needs to be done to restore Venezuela to a country that its people can have pride in. In hindsight, it is clear that what Venezuela needs is not Chavez.

Latest articles