Budget Cuts Effecting AZ Distance Learning Programs

Budget Cuts Effecting AZ Distance Learning Programs On Tuesday, April 29th hundreds of students from the Distance Learning Programs all over Arizona gathered in front of the State Capitol to persuade the lawmakers and Governor Janet Napolitano not to cut the schools funding.

There are over 20,000 students of all ages enrolled in the Distance Learning Programs all throughout Arizona. At least 300 students, parents, and teachers turned out for the rally on Tuesday protesting between the Senate and The House of Representatives buildings; while wearing red, blue, orange and yellow T-shirts to show how much their schools meant to them.

The budget cut, if it takes place, is to take $30 million out of the school budget. If the funding is cut, many of the schools are going to have to close down, due to to having enough money to stay open. If that happens, a lot of teenagers and children are not going to have a school to attend. In which case the drop out rate will increase drastically.

Distance Learning is an internet based school system where students are in virtual classrooms turning in their work. Several students that are enrolled with the program are displeased with the cuts. Stephen Pape says, "In a normal school you have to go with the rest of the class, when you do it online you can do it your own speed".

Without these schools students would "fall through the cracks", as superintendent of Mesa's Sequoia Choice Distance Learning said yesterday.

If the bill goes through the cut will take place on July 1st of this year.

Latest articles