Senator Diagnosed With Brain Tumor

Senator Diagnosed With Brain Tumor Senator Edward "Ted" Kennedy was released from the hospital today after being diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor, otherwise known as a malignant glioma, earlier this week. The senator was rushed to the hospital after having a seizure over the weekend. Preliminary test results from the brain biopsy that was preformed on the senator indicate that a tumor in the left parietal lobe was what caused the seizure, although the senator has not had any more seizure since his hospitalization. According to reports, a tumor in that area of the brain could affect one's ability to speak and understand speech, as well as weaken the right side of his body. In a usual case, doctors would most likely surgically remove as much of the tumor as possible, and then begin chemotherapy or radiation in an attempt to kill the remaining cancerous cells.

Surgery in this area of the brain, however, can be incredibly dangerous. Brain tumors like the one that Kennedy suffers from are often difficult to remove completely, because it is nearly impossible for surgeons to differentiate between what is brain cells and what is the tumor. Dr. Wendy Wright, assistant professor of neurology at Emory University School of Medicine, describes that area of the brain as "high-risk real estate, near a lot of centers that can affect the ability to move the right side of the body, the ability to speak and understand." While the surgeon could be removing the malignant tumor, they could also be removing brain cells, which could cause serious and permanent brain damage. In cases where surgery is too risky, Dr. Wright added, surgeons are more likely to skip any surgery at all and instead focus on chemotherapy and radiation.

According to one source, Kennedy is taking the news surprisingly well. "He is in remarkably good spirits and everyone else around them is just stunned," the source says. "It is just such a crushing blow." The senator and his wife, Victoria, are still waiting for more test results before they decide whether to go through with the surgery.

Average survival for moderately severe gliomas can range from three to five years, while very advanced gliomas can have a survival rate of less than one year. It is currently unknown how large the senator's tumor is or how quickly it may be spreading.

Latest articles