Croatia's Lawsuit Against Serbia Finally Taken In Consideration

Croatia's Lawsuit Against Serbia Finally Taken In Consideration In 1999 Croatia filed a lawsuit against Serbia at the highest UN court - International Court of Justice. In the lawsuit the former SFRY has been accused of genocide committed during the War of Independence that lasted from 1991 to 1995. They were asked to arrest and convict all perpetrators and to help Croatian government find the bodies of the missing soldiers and civilians. They were also ordered to return cultural assets and to repay the damage they had inflicted upon Croatia and its inhabitants.

After being discouraged in February 2007, when Serbia was cleared of all accusations for committing the Srebrenica genocide in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia almost dropped the lawsuit, but now there might be some hope for all the people seeking who have continuously been seeking justice ever since the war ended.

The lawsuit that Croatia filed is, however, different for it is based on authentic documents rather than second hand information. Croatia acquired the key transcripts that contain communication between the two supreme national defense bodies. The steno-graphs are set in the period between 1992 and 1996 and could eventually be the crucial factor in reaching the verdict.

Some find it interesting how there is no mention of Montenegro in the lawsuit. The reason for this is said to be a constitutional charter in which Serbia is proclaimed as the inheritor of SFRY and according to that legally 'inherits' the suit.

Also, Montenegro's government have repeatedly apologized for all crimes committed against Croatia, especially Dubrovnik, the harbor that suffered the most from their aggression. They also obliged to repay war compensation, but there is no mention of a fixed amount of money to be repaid nor of a deadline in any of the contracts the two sides signed.

Are they really worthy of the 'forgiveness'? Why the hypocrisy?

Latest articles