Another Planet Earth?

Another Planet Earth? The Spitzer Space Telescope spotted what astronomers say is a large belt of dust and debris. 424 light-years away, located in a double star system named HD 113766, astronomers have enough knowledge from studying surrounding stars to conclude that what they’re seeing is indeed a planet in the making. As dust particles come together to form rocks, the rocks then collide to form mini-planets, which build up over time, and could easily become the size of Mars, or larger.

Carey Lisse of the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory has been studying over HD 113766. He is currently publishing a paper in the Astrophysical Journal, which will report their findings in a meeting of the American Astronomical Society next week. His report claims the star is probably 10 to 16 million years old.

"The timing for this system to be building an Earth is very good," says Lisse in a statement.

There are many facts that can back up the possibility of their being future life on the new forming planet- the star that is in range of the forming planet is the same type, and size as our Sun. The dust is mostly silicates and metal sulfides- the same materials in which you’d find lava on Earth. Most importantly, the material making up the belt, is supposedly at just the right distance from the star’s center to make liquid water possible.

Could this be another plant Earth? Sources will keep us updated.

Latest articles