New Pets: Transparent Goldfish

New Pets: Transparent Goldfish Not so long ago, a group of Japanese scientists caused such a disgrace and amazement at the same time with puppies that glow in the dark. Prior to these dogs, we witnessed see-through frogs and now, see-through goldfish.

The newest creation has translucent skin and scales so the organs are clearly visible. Japanese researchers claim that they have made these creatures to reduce the need for dissection.

“You can see a live heart and other organs because the scales and skin have no pigments. You don't have to cut it open. You can see a tiny brain above the goldfish's black eyes”, said Yutaka Tamaru of Mie University.

The new kind of goldfish is called ryukin and it was produced by choosing “mutant hatchery goldfish with pale skin and breeding them together”.

Apart from having transparent skin, ryukin goldfish can live up to 20 years. Unlike the original goldfish, they can grow 25 cm and weigh more than 2 kg. Tamaru says that producing these creatures was a much needed step seeing that dissection has caused uproar in schools.

Another group of Japanese scientists which has come up with transparent frogs, plans to start selling them.

“We are making progress in their mass-production. They are likely to be put on the market next year”, said Masayuki Sumida of Hiroshima University.

The first step is to sell them only in Japan; as pets, for schools and laboratories. Price? Around 70 pounds. The whole dissection story and producing transparent animals have provoked animal rights activists. Their suggestion is to use computer simulations for dissection.

Latest articles