Supernova T Pyxidis Explosion Threatens Our Planet?

Supernova T Pyxidis Explosion Threatens Our Planet? A group of astronomers from Villanova University, Philadelphia, US have flabbergasted the world - the latest observations show that the explosion of the star, called T Pyxidis could tear off the Earth's ozone layer. Life on Earth as we know it would fall apart.

The force of the explosion makes breathing pause; the American scientists say that this star could go with a blast equal to 20 billion billion billion megatons of TNT. What worries even more are the newest studies that show that the star is closer than it was thought to be before - around 3,260 light years away. Galactically speaking, a small distance.

Furthermore, what's thought to be just one star, was proven wrong by the International Ultraviolet Explorer satellite. T Pyxidis is actually two stars; one being a white dwarf sucking in gas, waiting to explode.

The Hubble telescope has taken a couple of photos showing T Pyxidis on the verge of explosion. A series of small blasts, called novas tell the scientists that the star is closing to its demise.

"The star may certainly become a supernova soon - but soon could still be a long way off so don't have nightmares", said Robin Scagell, Vice president of Britain's Society for Popular Astronomy.

Since 1980 such explosions occur regularly every 20 years or so. The last was recorded in 1967.

"So the next blast is nearly 20 years overdue", said scientists at the AAS conference. Just like mister Scagell, they all said that the explosion is near but exact time remains a mystery.

Latest articles