'You Can't Cure Homosexuality' Agree UK Doctors

'You Can't Cure Homosexuality' Agree UK Doctors Doctors of the British Medical Association have collectively agreed that gay 'cure' treatments used to combat homosexuality do not work. They have rejected the therapies aimed at curing gays of their 'gay', deeming the practice as damaging and harmful.

The first of this month brought a meeting of UK doctors in Brighton, England where the majority of a panel of British health professionals - two thirds, to be exact - have agreed that gay 'cure' treatments and therapies do not work.

The body of physicians also agreed that the Royal College of Psychiatrists and other mental standard-setting organisations should reject the gay 'cure' treatments and ban the use of their codes in their practice. The proposal comes after research that was published last year found that a sixth of of British therapists and psychiatrists have attempted to 'cure' patients of their homosexuality.

On top of this, the BMA agreed that health departments should investigate the alleged cases of 'conversion therapies' that have been funded by taxpayers' money through the National Health Service.

On the harmful effects of gay 'cure' and 'conversion' therapies, Tom Dolphin, the vice-chairman of the British Medical Association’s junior doctors committee, said: “Sexuality is such a fundamental part of who a person is that attempts to change it just result in significant confusion, depression and even suicide." He added, “You can’t just wish away same-sex attraction no matter how inconvenient it might be.”

And although evident disapproval and rejection of the idea of a gay 'cure' and conversion therapies is now publicly published, Cardiff consultant neurophysiologist Gareth Payne disagrees. He argues there is no "gold standard" evidence that conversion therapy does not work and that it is harmful. He also added that it was important to 'respect the wishes of patients who asked for the therapy.'

Throughout the late 19 century and for most of the 20th, homosexuality was officially known as a mental illness. Since then that belief has been outruled by modern society and its science and health information advances.

With July of 2010 comes the ruling again: homosexuality is not a disease or a mental condition and now, for all to know, it is not something to be, and cannot be cured.

Latest articles