Colors of Neon

The Real Neon

When you say that something is neon you typically mean bright or fluorescent. But what exactly is neon?

Neon is an element on the periodic table with the atomic number 10. It is a noble gas, which means it is among the least reactive elements on the periodic table because its outer electron shell is full. It is typically a colorless gas, just like argon, helium, and many other nonmetals. That means that if you're talking to a literal thinker and describe something as neon bright, they might think you meantransparent.

Neon is also used in gas-discharge lamps. There are many examples of gas discharge lamps, but we'll use the classic example of neon signs. These lamps work by sending an electric discharge through a plasma (ionized gas), making the gas glow. Many noble gasses (the most stable elements) are commonly used in gas-discharge lamps. Another common misconception is that neon is used in all these lamps. Let's take a look at the other elements used in these lamps.

Neon

You know how you drive by that run-down convenience store and there's a blink red sign saying "Open." Neon was probably used in that sign.

Neon, you will recall, is usually a colorless gas, its atoms wandering around happily. When an electric discharge is sent through ionized neon, however, it becomes very energetic. Its electrons, drunk on this magnetic field created by the electricity, stumble around and constantly bump into each other.

Neon glows a bright reddish orange when this happens.

Helium

Helium is another inert noble gas, as most of these are. It has the atomic number 2 on the periodic table. Helium produces a beautiful golden red glow.

Argon

Argon is an interesting element because it is often mixed with mercury. Argon is light blue when electrified; mercury brightens the color. Mix argon with phforous to get bright yellow. Mercury is usually used instead of argon for light blue.

Krypton, Xenon, and CO2

Yes, krypton is an element. No, it is not kryptonite and therefore it won't kill Superman. Krypton signs are reddish silver (the color, not the element).

Xenon produces a bright purple glow.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) is used for a paler, almost white color.

Mixing Elements

I have given a few examples of mixing elements, mainly the most common. Up to 150 different shades of different colors can be produced by mixing different elements.

Sources:

Wikipedia

How Do Neon Signs Work?

Latest articles