Forensic Chemistry

In the field of forensic chemistry, the education requirements are strict. A forensic chemist needs a strong background in chemistry and instrumental analysis, a good knowledge of criminalistics, , and a forensic science degree is strongly recommended.

Forensic Chemists that want to work with trace evidence such as, glass, hair, and paper, need to work on their instrumental skills. If a forensic chemist wants to work with the biology and DNA aspects, they need to take biochemistry, microbiology, and genetics.

A forensic chemist's job is to identify the evidence, and they rarely do any type of investigative work. They are responsible for understanding and interpreting different types of forensic evidence, including DNA.

Forensic chemists will also have to explain and defend their results in court during trials, so it is important that they are confident with their public speaking ability and are comfortable in front of crowds. Not all cases go to trial, but when one does, giving expert testimony in court is a significant piece of a forensic chemist's job.

A forensic chemist will generally work in government labs, which can be small, understaffed, and underfunded. Private labs pay more than government, but there are very few openings for people hoping to work specifically in forensic chemistry.

If you are interested in everything that forensic science has to offer, then there may be a job in forensic chemistry waiting for you.

Latest articles