The Virgin Births of Snakes

Parthenogenesis is a type of birth where only one parent helped to make a baby. It is essentially a type of self-reproduction, which has been found to occur in sharks, reptiles, and birds, but not mammals. The parthenogenesis happens only with the females of the species. It occurs when a certain cell undergoes a change from an egg cell to a cell that serves as a sperm cell to fertilize the egg.

Until recently, it was believed that parthenogenesis was used by parents as a last resort to reproducing. It was seen in captivity, amongst female reptiles that had no options for mates other than themselves, so scientists believed it happened as nature’s attempt in saving a dying breed, as a result of evolution.

Recently, researchers found that this phenomenon is also happening to animals in the wild. Warren Booth, of the University of Tulsa in Oklahoma, found evidence of parthenogenesis in the wild, amongst species of pit vipers. Booth took samples of pit vipers found in the wild, who had plenty of mates around, and found that 1 of 22 copperhead snakes had parthenogenetic babies, and 1 of 37 cottonmouth snakes had parthenogenetic babies, which is a high number considering the females had other options for mates.

Booth did notice that the females who had babies parthenogenetically were smaller than the average snake of their respective species. He believes this may show that these snakes were passed over as mates, because there were better, healthier options.

All of the babies that were produced parthenogenetically were very unhealthy, and died quickly, mainly because parthenogenesis is a form of inbreeding.

Latest articles