Writing Apps

Paper and pencil are just about as old school as they come when someone thinks of writing. Even so, computers are becoming just as much of a nusiance. Carrying around a heavy laptop and whipping it out just to type for five minutes? You've got to be joking. Inspiration is everywhere though. So when you're in line at the grocery store or the coffee shop and the lady in front of you is so crazy that she would make an epic character what are you supposed to do? You can't pull out some old black book like a '50's detective but a laptop is just as un-portable.

The iPhone or even the iPad has got you covered though. One tiny device can hold all your files, ideas, and notes without a problem. Except...maybe there is a problem. Navagating the app store is like getting a root canal. Painful and time-consuming. Not to mention...all the apps promise to the same thing but some can hit pretty lofty prices. $49.99 for an app that takes notes? Does it ace the test too?

Don't worry about feeling lost though. Here some low-cost, or no-cost, apps that make writing, idea formulating, and note taking the most fun thing you'll do with that tiny device.

1. iA writer

-iA writer has two different versions. There is a version for your iphone/ipad or the version for your mac. The iphone/ipad version is $0.99 and the mac version is $4.99. You don't need both. The cheaper version is absolutely perfect for on-the-go basic writing. It syncs through icloud if you have it on more than one device. Otherwise it will go through dropbox or your email just as easily.

2. A Novel Idea

-There is nothing cooler than this free app. You can set up different stories, characters, plots, scenes, ideas, and locations. Everything you could ever need to outline for your story is right there in a neatly organized app. Not to mention it's fun to use!

3. Merriam Webster

-Everyone who is anyone needs a good dictionary. Especially on hand, at all times, just in case. Merriam is the best dictionary around next to Oxford. Plus, it's free.

4. Documents By Readdle

-Another free app. Documents allows you to view different documents, pictures, music, and downloads on your iPad. Unlike the other listed this an app specifically for ipad.

5. Penzu

-Penzu is a free app that is essentially just a notebook on a screen. It allows you to create different journals though, which I love. I've always been a sucker for college-ruled paper so there's something a tiny bit nostaglic about using this app. It's great for writing or making listing. Even straight up journaling.

6. Noteshelf

-Noteshelf is one of the more expensive apps on this list. It's $5.99 but worth it. The app is best used if you have a stylus (try fivebelow or other discount stores for a cheaper one). It's esstentially a notebook on an ipad, there are different colours that you can use to draw or sketch out ideas that you have.

7. Penultimate & Paper

-Penultimate and Paper are the less expensive versions of Noteshelf. They work pretty much the same so if you'd rather not spend the money on Noteshelf just go for one of these. Penultimate is $0.99 and Paper by FiftyThree is free.

8. iPlan for iPad

-This $0.99 app isn't really for writing. It's more of a calender/planner to organize your day. But that's just as essential to a writer as anything else.

9. Things

-Things is a task manager similar to iPlan but a bit more complicated and organized. For all that organization it's more expensive, $19.99 for the iPad app. If you want to spend the money than it's a great investment.

10. iFontMaker

-This is just fun. This app is $6.99 and it's another that works best with a stylus. It's exactly what the title says. The app allows you to turn your handwriting into a font that you can use in microsoft word. It's so much fun and the amount of characters it has makes it even more entertaining.

There are other simple apps for writing or writers to help document and organize thoughts. iAwriter and A Novel Idea are what I use the most, especially for the writing I do on Mibba. Remember, the most important thing when looking at apps is to read the description and reviews. No one knows more about an app than the people who made it and the people who use it.

Latest articles