White Killer Whale Spotted

White Killer Whale Spotted The story just recently surfaced, but last month, while taking a ride on the Oscar Dyson, sailing along Alaskas coast, a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration research ship, scientists spotted a white killer whale.

The whale stood out, making it clearly visible among the dull navy waters. Its ivory complexion made sure no one required a double-take. After further observations it was made clear that "the whale's saddle area was white". The rest of its body had a soft brown-tinted yellow to it.

Although the whales color was a great deal lighter than that of usual whales, the one seen by the crew of he Oscar Dyson was not considered to be albino. John Durban, a well-reputed research biologist residing at NOAA's Alaska Fisheries Science Center in Seattle, Washington, stated that it is a good thing that the whale isn't albino. Albino whales are prone to health problems and short lives.

While these whales are completely uncommon, they’re not mythical. Sightings include once in 1993 in the northern Bering Sea right around St. Lawrence Island. The second sighting was reported in 2001. It was near Adak in the central Aleutians. These white killer whales have also been spotted among the Russian coast.

Within the 30 minutes the ship was able to stay with the whale, scientists aboard the Oscar Dyson had made the conclusion that it was a healthy male, about 25 to 30 feet long, and weighed at least 10,000 pounds.

Latest articles