Custodial Grandparenting

Since the early nineties, increased attention has been placed on the topic of grandparents raising grandchildren (King et al., 2009; Park, 2009; Pinanzo-Hernandis, & Tompkins, 2009). An estimated five to six million children live in grandparent-headed households (Generations United, 2003). One in ten grandparents is expected to become the primary caregiver for a grandchild at least once in their lifetime (Kolomer, 2009). So, why are grandparents assuming custody of their grandchildren? King et al. (2009) determined this was as a result of problem circumstances facing the middle generation. These included issues such as unemployment, divorce, parental neglect or abuse, abandonment, mental illness, and death of a parent.

Many studies have found that grandparents play an important role in grandchildren’s emotional, cognitive, and social development (Tomlin, 1998). However, becoming a child’s primary caregiver is associated with physical, mental, social, and financial stress on a grandparent (Janicki et al., 2000). In order to decrease stress, it is apparent that health and service policies, support groups, childcare services, etc must be implemented. This paper will discuss the stress placed on caregivers, as well as procedures that have been implemented to reduce this stress.

Research

Problem

In a study conducted by Park (2009), the problems facing custodial grandparents were investigated. Park placed an emphasis on gender differences between grandparents. In this cross sectional design, she collected data from 209 grandfathers and 1781 grandmothers who were currently assuming care of at least one grandchild. She measured the effects of children’s behavioral and emotional problems and age on the mental health of grandparents. Psychological health was measured by a mental health composite scale derived from the five-item Mental Health Inventory (MHI-5). Park also collected data on the sociodemographics of grandparents.

Park found that there were many differences between genders of custodial grandparents. Analyzing the sociodemographics first, Park discovered that grandfathers are more likely than grandmothers to be older, Caucasian, high school graduates, currently married, to be employed outside of home, and to have a higher average family income. Grandmothers were found to be more likely than grandfathers to be younger, African American, have some college education, and to live in poverty (Park, 20009).

Park next analyzed the psychological health of custodial grandparents. She found that grandfathers were more likely than grandmothers to have poor mental health, especially if they were older and no longer lived at home with a spouse. Grandfathers were also more likely to have poor psychological health if they were caring for children under the age of five years or with severe behavioral problems. Grandmothers were also found to have poor psychological health if they were caring for a child with behavioral problems, or were living in poverty. Park also found that grandmothers had stronger overall mental health if they participated in any social activities, such as volunteer or religious services (Park, 2009).

From her study, Park drew that there was a need for policy and support in relation to custodial caregiving. Health care and social service providers were needed to facilitate counseling services and support groups. Community-based support groups were also recommended that would offer opportunities for grandparents to share their feelings and concerns and exchange resource information about coping with caregiving roles. Child care service and transportation were needed for participants of support groups, especially when grandchildren had behavioral, emotional, and physical challenges. Park also suggested intervention efforts should be designed in consideration to psychological health of caregivers. Parenting skills training and education were also necessary. Finally, Park noted that a reformulation of economic policies was needed to reduce financial hardship and provide opportunities for social participation.

Solution

In a second study conducted by King, Kropf, Perkins, Sessley, Burt, and Lepore (2009), the implications Park (2009) had mentioned were addressed. In 2005, the Georgia Division of Aging Services initiated the Kinship Care Program to provide services to grandparents raising grandchildren. Services included support groups, education, resource guides, information and assistance, events, training, and tutoring. King et al. analyzed this program. The qualitative study was conducted with 30 grandparents in focus group and questionnaire sessions.

King et al. found that grandparents expressed concerns about the physical and mental health of themselves and their grandchildren, relationships to the children, and their connection to the community. After participating in the Kinship Care Program, caregivers expressed that many of these concerns had been minimized. The resources available from the program helped grandparents better meet the needs of themselves, grandchildren, and the community. King et al. noted that 87% of grandparents expressed satisfaction with the program, especially about the support groups, case management, legal services, and counseling. The program increased the quality of life for both grandparent and grandchild for many participants (King et al., 2009).

King et al. suggested including health awareness interventions, health promotion, respite care, and transportation into the Kinship Care Program. These additions would help the caregivers to improve self-care and manage stress, as well as detect other problem health conditions. Promotion could enhance levels of functioning through increased exercise and healthy food choices. Respite care provides grandparents with periodic breaks from their caregiving demands. Specific times mentioned were after school and during summer break. It would also provide children with opportunities to spend time with others. King et al. further included the necessity of providing and extending support groups. Communities that do not offer support groups should be encouraged to do so.

Evaluation

Both studies noted the stress grandparents encounter when caring for young grandchildren or children with behavioral, emotional, or physical challenges. Grandparents may suffer financial hardship, physical limitations, and psychological restraints. Many people are aware of the stress and hardships associated with raising children, but not enough people are aware of the stress accompanying grandparents raising grandchildren. There is a need for increased awareness, health and service policies, and future research available in the subject of custodial grandparenting.

It is important that support is available to these caregivers, as they play an important role in their grandchildren’s development. Both Park and King et al. identified program and policy basics essential to this development. The Kinship Care Program is an excellent push in the right direction toward awareness, help, support, and education for caregiving grandparents. King and colleagues mentioned suggestions for improvement and expansion of the program (such as respite services and health promotion). These could be used to strengthen it.

Limitations

Park’s (2009) design was correlational in nature, meaning that causal relationships could not be drawn from it. Future studies need to look in to research methods in which causal relationships can be concluded. Also, her data represents subjective reports from the grandparents. Caution should be exercised when interpreting subjective findings. Another limitation includes the sample size. Recall that Park’s sample included 1,781 grandmothers and only 209 grandfathers. A future study including more caregiving grandfathers would be beneficial.

King et al. (2009) also had subjective reports in their findings. Again, caution should be exercised when interpreting results. Not only that, but their sample size was small, with only 30 participants. Their findings could not be generalized to a larger caregiver population. Also, many of their references were studies conducted by the same people. Some references were even of their own works. Their support for their conclusions could be biased.

Implications for Future Research

Park (2009) mentioned enhancing future research by including better measures of social support and the duration of providing care to grandchildren. By doing so, there would be fewer measurement limitations. She also explained that future research could utilize longitudinal data from a larger sample.

These studies place emphasis on grandparents raising younger children or children with behavioral, emotional, and physical challenges. However, what hardships do grandparents face raising children without these challenges? Are they similar or different? Future research could explore this.

References

Generations United. (2003). Fact sheet: Grandparents and other relatives raising children: Their inclusion in the national family caregiver support program. Retrieved from http://www.gu.org/documents/A0/NFCSP_2007.pdf

Janicki, M., McCallion, P., Grant-Griffin, L., & Kolomer, S. (2000). Grandparent caregiver I: Characteristics of the grandparents and the children with disabilities for whom they care. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 33, 35-55.

King, S., Kropf, N., Perkins, M., Sessley, L., Burt, C., & Lepore, M. (2009). Kinship care in rural georgia communities: Responding to needs and challenges of grandparent caregivers. Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, 7, 225-242.

Kolomer, S. (2009). Grandparent caregivers. In S. M. Cummings & N. P. Kropf (Eds.), Handbook of psychological interventions with older adults: Evidence based practice (pp. 321-344). London: Routledge PressPark, H. (2009). Factors associated with the psychological health of grandparents as primary caregivers: An analysis of gender differences. Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, 7, 191-208.

Pinazo-Hernandis, S. (2009). Custodial grandparents: The state of the art and the many faces of this contribution. Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, 7, 137-143.

Tomlin, A. (1998). Grandparents’ influences on grandchildren. In M. E. Szinovacz (Ed.), Handbook on grandparenthood (pp. 159-170). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.

Latest articles