First Human Brain-to-Brain Interface Achieved

The human brain has fascinated scientists throughout the ages. It weighs a mere three pounds and over 60% of it is composed of fat, the most of any organ, but it is by far the most complicated and important construct within our bodies. As we inch closer to uncovering the mysteries our own minds are witholding from us, we achieve greater technology that is making science fiction a reality.

In 1924, a scientist named Hans Berger discovered neural oscillations (brainwaves), which sparked a long debate over their precise function. Their existence made sense: the brain is an electrical organ, relying upon 100 billion neurons and 1,000 to 10,000 synapses per neuron to transmit impulses to the rest of the body. These impulses create fluctuations that can be measured by an EEG or EKG machine to discern whether or not the brain is working properly. There are several notable brainwaves:

  1. Delta waves- The slowest and "loudest" (low frequency but penetrating, like a drum). These are most common during deep sleep or meditation.
  2. Theta waves- Occurs during light sleep or extreme relaxation. Also commonly used during suggestive hypnosis.
  3. Alpha waves- This is the state you are in when you first wake up or are quite close to falling asleep. You're conscious but hardly processing information.
  4. Beta waves- Full consciousness.
  5. Gamma waves- These appear during higher functioning/focus: when you are actively using your brain. Recalling memories, learning, or forming ideas will produce this particular wave.

Understanding these waves is imperative to grasping the enormity of the research conducted by University of Washington Scientists Rajesh Rao and Andrea Stocco. They have successfully manipulated the way their brains operate, interfering with the electrical impulses to force Stocco's right hand to move with a single thought.

The two scientists were not able to see each other in any way, though there was a Skype conversation enabled to allow the teams to coordinate. Rao was playing a simple computer game that required him to "fire" with his right hand. He merely imagined moving his hand, which caused a cursor to hit the "fire" button and instantaneously caused Stocco's hand to move. It was an involunary movement--Stocco compared it to a nervous tic.

The concept of connecting brains via a computer has been tried before between rats and rats-humans. It has never been achieved between two people until now and copious amounts of research were involved in making the experiment work. Rao spent time training his brain to send the proper impulse to cause Stocco's hand to move, but this technology has been improving rapidly. Computers can almost sense an intention rather than a deliberate thought.

This particular experiment relied upon a transcranial magnetic stimulation device hooked up to a computer that sensed Rao's thought and transferred the impulse to Stocco. Stocco's particular TMS stimulated the section of his brain that would cause his right hand to move and their hard work was made into a reality.

Both scientists took time to assure people that this will not lead to mind control. It has been quoted as being a "first step" which will undoubtedly become many leaps over the next decades at the current speed of technology. There are endless possibilities for this discovery, and not all of them are good.

Sources

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57600284-76/scientist-controls-colleagues-hand-in-first-human-brain-to-brain-interface/

http://www.transparentcorp.com/products/np/brainwaves.php

Latest articles