Emotional Development in Children: The Psychology of Emotion Development - Comments

  • Rayus

    Rayus (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    @KingSquishy

    Thanks, I'm an Early Childhood Education student, so I learned a lot of this stuff recently lol. Plus, I believe I am proof that men can be just as caring, attentive and nurturing as women. Society just frowns upon men showing emotions a lot & being caregivers, which is ridiculous.
    December 25th, 2013 at 07:24am
  • KingSquishy

    KingSquishy (1900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @ Rayus
    All very good points and heavily believesd both by myself and grouch most of the psychology world :)
    December 25th, 2013 at 07:21am
  • Rayus

    Rayus (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    Furthermore, with regards to mental and emotional disorders, I believe there is a biological & environmental reason for their causes. Some are hereditary, others can be caused by outside influences such as traumas, needs not being met, substance abuse(including prenatal. FAS is caused by this). So looking into the family history should also be done, as well as improving the environmental conditions.
    December 25th, 2013 at 07:03am
  • Rayus

    Rayus (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    I personally believe children can bond well with either male or females, mother or father. I think a lot of the reason why women take on the role as primary caregiver is:

    1) Society. Up until recently(50-60 years?), most women didn't work. That was the man's job. We are slowly transitioning from that state. And there are still high expectations for women to do pretty much everything these days. Work, clean, raise the children...Lots of pressure, as the article mentioned.

    2) Women tend to already feel close to the child considering that they bore the child inside them for 9 months, so they've already(should) have developed an attachment

    However, in my opinion gender shouldn't be much of a factor. The child can benefit from both maternal & paternal. Ideally, it would be good if they could have both, but unfortunately that's not always the case. But what should be important is to how capable the maternal/paternal figure(s) are. If they are able to provide for the child's needs, physical and emotional. That is what matters. There are many loving fathers out there who can do just as well as mothers can. In cases of child custody there are times the court rules in favour of the mother, even though in some way she may be inept. I have read into a few cases where abusive mothers won custody over their children. My opinion these kinds of things should be looked into more thoroughly, on both parents. But that's just me. And if neither parent is capable of providing the needs of the child, they should be given to someone who can. Or the parents should be given support of some sort, whether it's financial aid to buy groceries or therapy to help with disorders such as depression or anger.
    December 25th, 2013 at 06:57am