Intelligence: The Importance of Individual Differences

Intelligence is one of the more active debates currently in psychology. It is one which has stemmed disagreement among professionals and laymen alike. No matter how we try, it seems no one can come to a conclusive agreement as to the definition of intelligence. It has been known to encompass almost all of the popular psychological debates; nature vs nurture being just one. However, it wasn’t until recently that people started to take an interest in the differences between people’s perceptions of individual intelligence.

It would not take an expert to convince you that what intelligence is differs from place to place and region to region – for example what is classed as intelligence is different in the Western hemisphere than the Eastern Hemisphere. This is both obvious and expected, so why am I telling you this? Because researchers have noticed changes over recent years, in that more of the eastern oriental countries (Korea, China and Japan) are adopting more westernised ideals of intelligence.

This is evidence by research on laypersons (those individuals whom are not experts in the area of intelligence research and/or testing). In the United States, laypersons rated intelligence as the presence of the following: practical problem-solving (this is the ability to solve everyday problems), verbal ability (the ability to confidently communicate, this meaning one can solve the problem and successfully communicate the solution both confidently and clearly), social competence (this would involve the person being able to confidently socialist – so people having social skills is considered intelligent behaviour). These are the major requirements to be considered intelligence.

We then compare these to the eastern definitions of intelligence including: general cognitive factor of intelligence, this referring to something similar to the western ideal of problem solving, and also is related to ones cognitive ability – so this refers to higher cognitive competency would lead to better ability to problem solve. Interpersonal intelligence refers to the ability to communicate with others and be adept in social situations, also being able to change from one social situation to another without difficulty. Intrapersonal skills, this is one which was not seen in the western ideal of intelligence and refers to ones modesty as such, for it includes one’s ability to know their abilities and values to a true level and thus one's ability to view themselves objectively. Intellectual self-assertions links strongly to the previous point as it would involve one's ability to successfully take charge of their own skills and use their most beneficial expertise. Intellectual self-effacement which refers to the ability to be modest about intellect.

Yet Korean studies in 2002 suggested that Koreans are taking a more western ideal of intelligence in that they rate intelligence as the following: social competence, problem solving ability, coping with novelty, self-management ability and practical competence. Of course, intelligence differs across age ranges as well, what a child deems intelligent is different through the childhood years, and adults view one another’s intelligence as something separate for the individual – your intelligence level may differ in another’s view, this depends on the situation, as our abilities differ in situations.

Yet, this is just the views of intelligence from laypersons, who are not at all experts on the matter of intelligence. So what happens when researchers turn to experts in topics – such as various university professors – on the matter of intelligence? Not a lot. Although some may think there would be some form of agreement of what intelligence is, this was not the case, and when 38 professionals were together to discuss what intelligence was, 38 different definitions were suggested. However, this is a good thing and instead of us considering this to be an unconfirmed conclusion, we should see it in the view point that what intelligence is truly does differ between both situations and professions. For example key differences were found between the four professions of Arts, Business, Philosophy and Physics.

References

Maltby, J., Day, L. and Macaskill, A. (2013) Personality, Individual Differences and Intelligence. (3rd Edition). London: Pearson.

Latest articles