Multiple Intelligences: A Multifaceted Approach to Intellectual Psychology

There are multiple arguments around the development, measurement and classification of intelligence(s). One of psychologies bigger arguments is should intelligence be define as a singular – and superior – form of all encompassing cognitive skill. More in tune with the works of Eyesnck and Spearman. Or rather should this complex cognitive functioning be explained more in the way of intelligences, in which one would draw attention to the suggestion of a multiple intelligence framework. This article will act as a knowledge booster and basic summary around one proposal of multiple intelligence.

Howard Gardner introduced the theory of multiple intelligence into the psychological dictionary, albeit accidentally. His proposal began in the scientifically ignored publication 'Frames of Mind' (Gardner, 1983). However, since the time in which it was published much has developed and the theory has become more accepted. In many cases, it is now more widely accepted than Spearman's theory of 'g'. Gardner (1993) explains his reasons for the proposal, explanations and self-evaluation of the theory now so commonly known as MI.

The original project had started as a developmental research project turned into a matter of intelligence definition. It would seem to be a relatively pleasant accident than young researchers should so unintentionally stumble upon one of the most influential theories of intelligence psychology. However, in the 1993 publication – review and extension of multiple intelligences – 'Multiple Intelligences. The Theory in Practise', Gardner states that the intention of the theory became to broaden the understanding and definition of the cognitive ability. In other words, Gardner and colleagues wished to make the matter of intelligence not only more comprehensive, but furthermore they wished to make it an overall more generally fair an applicable understanding.

Of course it is no secret that the intelligence view favoured by educational institutions is the unified intelligence theories surrounding a single, prestigious form of general intelligence. Hence the need for a reliance of such IQ declaring tests as SATs. Exams which are utterly pointless to more select individuals – such as those children with autism or acquired brain injury (ABI). However this reliance on general intelligence (g) testing is something of a popular phenomenon and a long lived fad. In it's aims to emphasise a multifaceted theory of intelligence, MI emphasises the importance of understanding the individual abilities and not looking at a uniformed education purely focusing on the general and 'needed' knowledge which must be taken in school – the rigid subject matters imposed alongside an educational curriculum. Especially true of those with more specialist educational requirements and seemingly more limited intellectual ability.

Clear differences can be seen between 'g' and MI. These being in the values ascribed the rated intelligence(s). For example, in the testing of general intelligence, the focus is on more valued forms of knowledge associated with academia and learnedness. Linguistic and logical (mathematical) intelligence, tested in the form of examinations with a singular conclusion and measured in a rating of numbers which determine how intelligent the individual is then deemed to be. (E.g. 85 = Low IQ, 100 = Average, 130 = Above average, 150 – Genius). This then decree's much in the line of education, for example someone with a higher IQ score is likely to be accepted at the more prestigious educational establishments and thus permitted into higher academic orders (E.g. Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard or Yale.)

In contrast however, Gardner argues that there is not a singular definition of intelligence and that although logico-mathermatical intelligence and linguistic ability surely helps the individual, assists their education and may influence some roots in their life, it neither defines nor truly contributes to the persons overall success as is believed in general intelligence. Rather, he believes that those who simply possess the two major abilities will gain academic success, but it is the remaining five of his intelligences which offer a more determined form of success.

There are seven key intelligences listed under Gardner's proposals:

  • Linguistic Intelligence
  • Mathematical-Logic Intelligence
  • Musical Intelligence
  • Spatial Intelligence
  • Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence
  • Interpersonal Intelligence
  • Intrapersonal Intelligence

The belief is that each one of these intelligences exists independently of another, in complete contrast to the belief that one form of intelligence would impede of another, and so the performance in one subject would thus act as predictor of performance of another. Instead, the belief is that one may excel in a singular intelligence facet or just as easily he may excel in several facets or achieve intellectual excellence. Multiple Intelligences rates more fairly on those with autism and ABIs due to the testing of a singular intelligence in segregation to others. This allows for topical excellence in overall intellectual absence (as is often common as a result of the diagnostic al criterion surrounding autism and ABIs).

This occurs due to the brain layout. The idea is that each of the seven intelligences link to different parts of the brain, thus activity levels within this area is an influencer of the intelligence level surrounding that intelligence. Evidence has been granted for this. Pinel (2011) explains about the discovery of specialised brain locations (Wernicke's and Broca's areas). The areas are key to certain cognitive abilities, in times of reduced or ceased functioning, the respective cognitive function is thus reduced or eradicated dependent on the severity of neural malfunction.

A final point of importance which one must understand before furthering their knowledge around multiple intelligences is that no singular one of these intelligences is more important than another. Each are equally weighted and connectively separate. One can excel at logic and struggle with language. We simply rate some as more valuable functions due to current societal hegemony. A shift away from a uniform definition of intelligence could be beneficial, as a globally more applicable rating of intelligence is needed. It would further our knowledge around gender, cultural and age implications of intelligence. Despite the flaws around multiple intelligence – in that any form of withstanding investigation is near impossible due to the neurological procedures (including post-mortem brain dissections and lobotomies), it avoids the more impractical and abstract assumptions of g.

Multiple intelligences allows for people to continue learning, their intelligence is not fixed by eleven years of age and although there is a natural biological potential for all, the belief remains that people's potential can indeed be boosted and early enough detection of intellectual difficulty with a singular facet would allow for improvement with specialised educational intervention.

Latest articles