Microbes and Our Weight

Weight is something that has been a topic of interest in the scientific community for many years. Whether it is trying to find an easy fix for weight loss or discovering what makes some people more likely to be overweight than others, there is an area of science dedicated to studying weight.

A new study performed by researchers at Washington University School of Medicine shows that there may be a connection between the microbes found in a person's gut and their weight.

Like most studies, this one took a look at twins. It gathered up identical twins, who have the same genes, that were both thin and obsese, and then studied the microbes found in their guts. They quickly discovered that, while nearly everything else about the twins was identical aside from their weight, the microbes found in their stomach were different.

They were then able to take these microbes and study how they were digested in the metabolism, allowing them to pinpoint which microbes affect the metabolism more.

The study is still underway, but it could prove to be a huge breakthrough in the way of obesity. With discovering a new factor in obesity, there are endless possibilities regarding possible solutions to helping people lose weight.

Latest articles