All Change As Vaughan Steps Down As Test Captain

All Change As Vaughan Steps Down As Test Captain Vaughan, who was emotional and tearful at the ECB press conference in Loughbough, stated: "It is the hardest decision but also the easiest decision I've ever had to make. It is hard to give away a job you have loved for five years and put my heart and soul into. But it is easy decision because my mind told me to pack it in."

A 52 test-match span as captain provided 26 matches; more than any other English test captain. Among these was Vaughans highest achievement: Regaining "The Ashes" against Australia in 2005.

Despite the glowing results for the team, Vaughan himself was struggling since being named captain; his batting averages taking a nosedive, and injuries creeping in; notably keeping him out of the 2006/07 "Ashes" series in Australia.

Vaughan, 33, has made himself unavailable for the last test match against South Africa at the Oval, but has declared that he will remain being a batsman, and wants to go back to Yorkshire CCC and "make a few runs".

Another unexpected announcement was the fact that Paul Collingwood, who had made a century at the last test, had decided to stand down as one day captain, despite Englands recent success on the one-day scene.

The ECB are expected to create only one captain to be in charge of both test and ODI squads, and South African born Kevin Pietersen is currently the favourite for this role.

Latest articles