Legendary Quarterback Favre to Part Ways with Packers

Legendary Quarterback Favre to Part Ways with Packers Brett Favre, former starting quarterback of the NFL team Green Bay Packers, formally announced his retirement in early March of 2008. However, a few months later, Favre expressed interest in returning to the NFL.

The Commissioner, Roger Goodell, reintroduced Favre to the Packers. After Favre attended a training camp, both he and Mike McCarthy, the team head coach, decided he was a "distraction."

After a meeting last night with McCarthy, Favre stated today in an ESPN article the "best thing for this team is for us to part ways."

The three-time MVP for the NFL also stated, "The problem is that there's been a lot of damage done and I can't forget it. Stuff has been said, stories planted, that just aren't true. Can I get over all that? I doubt it."

Favre asked to be traded to a fellow NFC north conference team, but the Packers turned down his request. The Minnesota Vikings, also a NFC north team, have expressed major interest in obtaining the star quarterback.

Regardless of how the dilemma turns out, Favre acknowledged Aaron Rodgers, the 2007 Packers second string quarterback and Favre's own apprentice of three years, is most likely going to be the starter for this season.

Favre was offered a $20 million dollar bundle from the Packers in order for him to remain retired, which he rejected.

Latest articles