Shahar Peer Denied Access Into Tennis Tournament

Shahar Peer Denied Access Into Tennis Tournament Rising Israeli tennis star, Shahar Peer, was unable to participate in the Dubai Tennis Championships earlier this month, after being rejected for a visa to enter the United Arab Emirates. Organizers of the Dubai tournament, one of the most prestigious and notable tournaments out there, believed Peer's appearance would have caused an uproar among the fans and spectators.

The tournament came close to being canceled from the women's tour due to the gender and race discrimination Peer received. After consulting the chief executive of the WTA (Women's Tennis Association), Larry Scott, the two decided to let the tournament continue, seeing as it wouldn't have been fair to the rest of the players who were already at Dubai. The WTA plans to determine "whether the tournament has a slot on the calendar" for the tour in the coming years.

Unfortunately for Peer, who is currently ranked #48 in the world, this isn't the first situation in which discrimination has taken place. While playing in New Zealand last month, she ran into a 'noisy protest over Israel's invasion of Gaza.'

Multiple organizations and tennis players, have backed up Peer, including the ITF (International Tennis Federation) and ITA (Israeli Tennis Association, as well as previous world #1, Amelie Mauresmo, and Olympian, Elena Dementieva.

What do you think? Should the WTA remove the Dubai tournament from its tour, as a result of the discrimination Peer received?

Latest articles