Australian Sport Is Dying

Australian Sport Is Dying In all my years of watching Australian sport, I have never seen so many cases relating to athletes and fans bad behaviour in the public arena. Okay, I will agree that the media do over exaggerate the situation at hand. But, people will believe what they see and hear on the news because the power of the media brainwashes them to believe what is being covered is the absolute truth.

In a nation that claim to be "sport mad", all I see are fans, athletes and the media slowly killing the entertainment of sport. Why are drugs, alcohol, gambling, sex and other kinds of misconduct in society bleeding into the sport world. People say "athletes are role models for children. They shouldn't be behaving badly". Last time I checked athletes were humans and it's not their responsibility to tell kids how to behave in the general public - that is a parent's obligation. I agree, that athletes should be able to have a punt, a drink and consensual sex without the media and people assuming they are acting inappropriately.

This is what is killing Australian sport. The media over exaggerate the fact that "he was at a bar and he got drunk and behaved in a manner that was indecent" - hmmmm, really? Now, no one in this country or in the world can say that they haven't done something indecent from the impulse of alcohol. Athletes are humans - just like you and me.

Drugs, well there is something that should never have been invented. But, instead of naming and shaming the guilty athlete - shouldn't we offer help, education and guidance. Just think if that athlete was your son or daughter, you would go out of your way to stop them from taking drugs. Yes, an athlete taking drugs is really none of our business - but when it is killing our passion for sport then it does become our problem. Just think about it...

I think everyone can see where I am heading with this. The point is lets not murder Australian sport. As a sport nut myself, I couldn't stand my life if sport was not in it - in fact I think sport brings us together as a nation. Think back to the 2000 Sydney Olympics - so much unity.

Lets not let Australian sport be branded by a R 18+ tag and influence parents to let their children to play sport because its a great atmosphere. Ask yourself Australia, do we really want to see sport turn from a white cloud to a dark cloud? I certainly don't and I believe you don't either.

Don't forget what type of Australia we are. And I know for a fact that its not Australia without a game of cricket, NRL and AFL - its un-Australian. Just don't forget that athletes are human and they deserve - like you and me - to have fun. Just please think before you act and please do not murder Australian sport.

Australia without sport is un-Australian!

Latest articles